Concerning prescription, how soon can I get Lasik?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Concerning prescription, how soon can I get Lasik?

Postby Adore » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:21 am

My prescription is -4.50 and -4.75. I had my last visit with the optometrist 1 year ago this October. I had asked about Lasik and if it looked like I was a good candidate. He didn't preform tests that I've read about in this forum since joining but otherwise he told me I was a good candidate.

I was told however that I would have to wait a few years until my prescription stops changing.

I'm 23 years old and I've needed corrective lenses since I was 8 and I've needed them all day every day since I was 12, so it's been a LONG time... and each year it only slightly changes.

How true is this? I have read online that it should be stable for at least 1 year, but my optometrist and this other doctor at that office have told me several... they said now where I'm out of college I may not be using my eyes the same and they may stabilize. But aren't my eyes changing all the time no matter what? Also, my work is all on the computer and I'm paranoid they will always change and I'll never ever be able to get Lasik.

Do I really have to wait for YEARS longer to get Lasik as far as my prescription is concerned? What is considered a stable prescription?
Adore

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:12 pm

Normal progression of myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision will not commonly change the surgical results of Lasik, but may change the functional results.

Your eyes will continue to change after Lasik at the same rate as before Lasik. The risk is that Lasik will resolve your myopia now, and then a couple of years later you will be back into glasses. The choice is to wait until your eyes stop changing, or to have Lasik now and likely need additional surgery later.

Obviously, one surgery is almost always better than two, but Lasik is about convenience and you may decided that the convience now may be worth the raised probability of needing surgery later.

There are other ocular health reasons to wait for stabilization, such as the corneal disease keratoconus, but these can be evaluated before surgery.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It