So far so good

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

So far so good

Postby dmwilmoth » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:49 pm

I just had CustomVue lasik 3 days ago, and so far things seem to be doing pretty good.

My vision was pretty bad nearsighted in both eyes, like around -6 with astigmatism. If I didn't wear my glasses, I was pretty much a blind woman feeling her way around the room. And knocking my glasses off the nightstand proved to be another thing entirely.

I asked my doctor if Lasik would actually work for me b/c I had such a severe refractive error. He said he expected me to do very well.

The surgery itself was a piece of cake. I was nervous about it, but those Valiums do work wonders! I was very calm and relaxed going in. Didn't feel a thing. The only thing that bothered me was when the placed the suction ring on my eye. Didn't hurt, but the instrument vibrated, and I could have sworn I was blinking, despite being propped open. Kind of freaked me out, but I was not aware beforehand of the vibrating, so the next eye, I was prepared and it was fine.

Immediately after the surgery, I could see. It was hazy or milky but the doctor said that was normal. I could read signs, although in double. But it was definitely a marked improvement.

I went home, napped for 3 1/2 hrs and when I woke, I was able to drive myself to the coffee shop for a latte (priorites, ya know). Signs (the smaller writing) was not in sharp focus, but I could see very far as far as buildings and trees and stoplights go.

Woke up the next day, and saw very clear. Even better than the day before. However, as the day progressed (and perhaps due to strain or the fact that I wanted to stare at everything), things would get slightly blurry. Mostly exhibited when trying to read street signs.

My 1 day check up looked good, healing nicely. I could read 20/20, and could even pick out a couple of letters on the 20/15.

I'm looking forward to my one-week, to see how much better I've progressed. Still having blurry moments. Writing isn't crisp or as clear as with my glasses, but I expect that to change as the weeks come. As for the big items, like my surroundings and people, I can see that very well, even in far distance.
dmwilmoth

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:37 pm

Thanks for you detailed report and congratulations on your Lasik.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby dmwilmoth » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:45 pm

Just wanted to give everyone an update on my progress. I had my 1 week appointment with my doctor yesterday. He told me my eyes were healing nicely, the flap looks good and all that.

However, I am not seeing as good as I was the day after surgery. My eyes go back and forth -- 1 day it's the right eye that's worse, next day or later the same day, it's the left. I find that weird. But anyway.

I noticed prior to my dr. appt. that signs were getting harder to read, and faces in the near distance lost some detail. So I figured I wasn't going to be seeing as good as I was. My dr. did not do an eye exam as far as telling me if I was 20/40 or 20/60, although I should have asked, but he did say I changed up or down one "click" for the worse in each eye.

He is trying to reassure me that I am still healing and things will continue to change and adjust and eventually stabilize. I am hoping, and trying hard not to get discouraged. Today is my last steroid drop, and he told me after I was done with the drops, my eyes should start to clear out even more. I hope so, because quite honestly, I'm getting a little worried! Because at this point, I feel like I want my glasses back, if only to see something crisp and clear.

Night vision is fine. I always had starbursts and halos, so I'm not too bothered by them right now, and not really even sure if they are worse than before b/c the change is so minimal.

I have another appointment in 3 weeks, so I am hoping to have changed for the better. Wish me luck, and I'll post again soon!
dmwilmoth

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:38 pm

Good luck on continued improvement. I look forward to your report in a few weeks.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby eyebright » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:44 pm

hi what you are talking about sounds similar to some of my experiences post lasik. my eyes used to fluctuate and maybe i'd have one blurry eye for a day then they'd both be fine and then other days the other one would blur. my surgeon told me this was normal and would calm down ,as indeed it did. keep using lots of eye drops as the wetter your eyes are the better. ( even if they dont feel particularly dry it helps healing) also i have to say that the healing process after lasik can be very up and down. you have good days and bad and my surgeon also told me that it could take at least a year for my eyes to settle.this was also true.
the main issues i had where very dry eyes, starburst, halos/glare around objects. apart from mild starburst on some car headlights everything else has resolved itself but it didnt start really improving untill 6 months + which is when the dry eye started to get sgnificantly better. give yourself time ,talk to your surgeon if your worried ( i saw mine 8 times in 4 weeks, he must have dreaded me phoning! )
i also feel that the image given out about lasik being quick,easy complication free etc isnt helpful. it leads to more worry post op for the majority of people who feel they are not recovering 'normally'.
What is normal? We've just had our eye cut open and blasted with a lasor! Good luck be patient i hope that everything is going well for you
eyebright

Postby dmwilmoth » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:35 pm

Thank you, eyebright, for your encouragement. It is definitely frustrating when you feel like you've spent a lot of money on something that isn't quite what you were expecting.

I will say that my vision is better than it was last week, but my eyes are still fluctuating between left and right being better than the other.

I did switch drops from Systane to Refresh Plus. My vision was blurry for a minute or so after using Systane, so I tried the Refresh sample the dr. gave me and I had like super x-ray eyes (haha!) for about 30 seconds after using those, so I switched.

I look forward to better recovery in the weeks to come. I go back to the eye doc on Sep 16, so hopefully by that time my distance vision will be crisper than it is now.

eyebright wrote:
i also feel that the image given out about lasik being quick,easy complication free etc isnt helpful. it leads to more worry post op for the majority of people who feel they are not recovering 'normally'.
dmwilmoth

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:49 pm

eyebright wrote:i also feel that the image given out about lasik being quick,easy complication free etc isnt helpful. it leads to more worry post op for the majority of people who feel they are not recovering 'normally'.

I agree absolutely, but it's not just the Lasik industry who does this.

After a few months or years Lasik patients tend to forget the temporary difficulties they encountered when asked by friends about the surgery. This can lead to a lot of "It was great!" responses that if you question the Lasik patient closer you will find that there were some minor problems along the way.

We are vigilant about dispelling this perception.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby dmwilmoth » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:38 pm

Well I just had my 1 month appointment. Since the last time, my eyes have not changed much. Although the dr. said my left eye is perfect 20/20, the crispness is still not there. But I can definitely see well with the left eye. My right eye is not better. Although he said it was 20/30, it is blurry.

He told me my eyes were dry (after looking thru microscope), and told me to use drops like a madwoman. And then gave me gel drops for nighttime.

What I find strange is that when I put drops in, like 10 seconds or so afterwards, I have this amazing clear vision. Then, I guess after the drops are absorbed, my vision goes back to the blurry.

Don't get me wrong, I can function fine. Driving is not dangerous. I just want to be able to see crisp/clear, even if I have to be 20/30 in one eye. He said that eye is "2 clicks of power" nearsighted, which I don't really know what that means. I suppose starting from plano, 2 clicks might be about -0.50? Does anyone know?

Dr. is reassuring me that within 90 days, I will be so amazed at the difference. So I've got 60 days left to work out a miracle, haha! I'm certainly hoping for a good final result. I don't really want to get an enhancement.

Next appointment is in 1 month. I will update you again.
dmwilmoth

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:04 pm

dmwilmoth wrote:What I find strange is that when I put drops in, like 10 seconds or so afterwards, I have this amazing clear vision. Then, I guess after the drops are absorbed, my vision goes back to the blurry.

This is a relatively good sign. Your surgery provided the correct refractive change. All that is needed is for the surface to smooth. Dry eyes can make a very rough surface. It is like the difference between looking through clear glass and frosted glass.

You will want to review our article on Lasik dry eye treatment.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It