Wavefront Retreatment after Conventional Lasik Possible ??

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Wavefront Retreatment after Conventional Lasik Possible ??

Postby Adnan Zaman » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:37 am

I am a 21 years old man. I have undergone conventional lasik in may 18th 2008 using the Nidek EC-5000 excimer laser. My original myopia was 7.5 diopters in the right eye and 7 diopters in the left eye. The original corneal thickness of my right eye was 551um and in the left eye it was 550um.

After the lasik i have very good day vision.. but i have moderately poor night vision and moderate haloes & glare and slight dry eyes. My residual mypoia is 0.75 diopter in the right eye and 1 diopter in the left eye. My residual cornea thickness is 446um in right eye and 460um in left eye.

I am seriously thinking about having a wavefront retreatment. My questions are:

1) Is it possible to have a wavefront retreatment done for me, with the myopia and corneal thickness i have got left ?
2) Will it improve my vision or worsen/complicate my vision ?
3) Will it have any long term implications, especially having thin corneas ?
4) Was too much corneal tissue removed in my original conventional lasik procedure ?

Any professional advice to my questions will REALLY HELP ME..
Adnan Zaman

Re: Wavefront Retreatment after Conventional Lasik Possible

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:37 pm

Adnan Zaman wrote:1) Is it possible to have a wavefront retreatment done for me, with the myopia and corneal thickness i have got left ?

It is likely possible, however the thickness of the Lasik flap and the actual amount of tissue removed will determine if the residual untouched cornea will be greater than the minimum 250 microns (more is always better).

Adnan Zaman wrote:2) Will it improve my vision or worsen/complicate my vision ?

That depends totally on the wavefront aberration analysis and the precise cause(s) of the poor Lasik night vision. Many have had wavefront-guided enhancement to resolve similar problems, but you need to read the linked article above to understand Lasik pupil size issues.

Adnan Zaman wrote:3) Will it have any long term implications, especially having thin corneas ?

All surgery can have long-term implications, however a competent surgeon can perform many tests and measurements to assure the lowest probability of a poor outcome.

Adnan Zaman wrote:4) Was too much corneal tissue removed in my original conventional lasik procedure ?

Actually, it appears that not enough tissue was removed. This is why you are still a little bit myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted).

Adnan Zaman wrote:Any professional advice to my questions will REALLY HELP ME..

All your night vision issues may be caused by your residual myopia. It would be very, very valuable for you to wear disposable contact lenses that fully correct your distance vision to see what your vision would be like without the residual myopia. I suspect that the halos and starbursts may disappear with simple correction.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago