epilasik 14 days ago. Poor close vision. Blurry distance.

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

epi lasik - clapics - enhancement -help

Postby radomstatic » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:01 am

Sorry for the late post. Overall far vision is great today 09/12/08 not perfect just a little off. In order to combat the effects on my near vision I have been wearing contacts 1.00. The net effect is great distant vision and I can see my phone and computer without reading glasses.

I have been back to the doctor and the options are continue to wear contacts or glasses for now on or have an enhancement.

I have opted for the enhancement and could sure use some insight into what to expect. My expectations are that I will not longer need contacts to see my phone and my far vision will remain close to the same. I do need reading glasses now to read small print when wearing my contacts.

Am I correct that this enhancement will bring me much closer to were I should be. The doctor explained that it is normal to overshoot the first correction as the eyes general relapse back in up to a 6 month period. He explained that this enhancement will most likely be the opposite of the last (my far vision may take a awhile to recover).

my orginal contacts were -5.75 and -5.25
My last doctor appointment measured at about -.8 and -.75

Looking for advice.
thanks
radomstatic

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:27 pm

Your doctor will use your success in contact lenses as the guide for the enhancement surgery treatment plan. The target will be achieving with the laser what you achieve with contacts, so if the target is reached your vision after surgery would be what it is now with contacts.

Of course all surgery has risks. You need to consider enhancement surgery with the same level of importance as the initial surgery, although you do have the advantage of a smaller correction and your doctor now better knows how your corneas will respond to the laser energy.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

enhancement scheduled 10/1

Postby radomstatic » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:37 am

Thanks for your advice.

You let you know the results.
radomstatic

prk after epi lasik (round 2) - 0n 10/01/08

Postby radomstatic » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:05 pm

Had my enhancement surgery on 10/01. Surprising I thought it would be an epi lasik enhancement, what I found out that because I already had epi lasik the enhancement needed to be prk.

week 1-2 - what a great change, I can see close (no reading glasses), far vision 20/20, I was so happy.......

weeks 3-5 - close vision is still great, far vision has slipped bad. I am off about a -1. Driving home in the rain at night, I could not read the signs and almost hit the median trying to turn.

I found an old pair of my daughters glasses (they are a -2) and now I use these to drive at night.

My vision is much better then when I started 2 surgery's ago, but I still need glasses to drive at night and to see TV and other things depending upon the lighting.

Now I am puzzled, my next appointment is in Jan, guessing this is where my eyes will lock in.

Is there an option for round 3?
Is there a bigger risk now that I have had 2 surgery's?
Will my near vision be at risk if I have a 3rd surgery?
Should I just punt and look at contacts as an option being that I am improved?

Looking forward to any advice.

thanks
radomstatic

Re: prk after epi lasik (round 2) - 0n 10/01/08

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:02 pm

radomstatic wrote:Had my enhancement surgery on 10/01. Surprising I thought it would be an epi lasik enhancement, what I found out that because I already had epi lasik the enhancement needed to be prk.

The Bowman's layer of the cornea is required for the Epi-Lasik microkeratome to be able to create a flap of the soft pliable epithelium. The Bowman's layer would have been removed as a part of your original surgery. PRK is virtually the same as Epi-Lasik in regard to long-term effect.

radomstatic wrote:Is there an option for round 3?

You can continue to have enhancement surgery as long as your eyes are healthy and you have enough corneal thickness, which can be measured in advance.

radomstatic wrote:Is there a bigger risk now that I have had 2 surgery's?

The risk is virtually the same as with surgery number two.

radomstatic wrote:Will my near vision be at risk if I have a 3rd surgery?

Yes. You are presbyopic. This means that the natural lenses inside your eyes are less able to change focus from distant objects to near objects. With full correction you are able to see distance well, but not close. With your current undercorrection (-1.00 D myopic), you are nearsighted and thereby able to see near objects well, but distant objects not so well.

You need to decide which is more important to have without glasses - near vision or distance vision. If you opt for distance vision, you will need to use reading glasses. If you opt for near vision, you will need prescription glasses to see distance, such as driving and especially at night.

A third option is monovision, where one eye is for distance and one eye is for near vision. Read the article at the link.

radomstatic wrote:Should I just punt and look at contacts as an option being that I am improved?

Contacts are always an option. Whether or not they are your best option can only be decided by you after advice from your doctor.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Just Had It