Retreatment Success Story

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Retreatment Success Story

Postby overcorrectedjw » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:47 pm

I am a 47-year-old male. I had bladeless Lasik done on both eyes back in January of this year. I was quite nearsighted prior to the surgery. Unfortunately, I was overcorrected and became farsighted for the first time in my life. As is frequently written, the combination of hyperopia and presbyopia (affecting the over 40 crowd) leads to all round poor vision. I can attest to that. Following the first surgery, I better researched the procedure and its various complications, including possible undercorrection and overcorrection. (Pehaps I should have done this before my surgery.) Knowing the various complications, my initial reaction was: no enhancement surgery. I didn't suffer from many of the complications that plague many of those on the board, and I didn't want to press my luck. I was able to function. I used reading glasses, as do many others. I used corrective lenses for long or night-time driving. Otherwise, I got by without glasses. At the same time, though, I wasn't happy with my vision. I was totally reliant of readers for close work, and my distance vision wasn't crisp. I had difficulty reading signs, and forget about seeing LED displays. I was generally unhappy. After discussing retreatment with the surgeon, I became more confident and decided to go ahead. I had the retreatment this past Tuesday, and I am absolutely thrilled with the results. For the first time in my life, I feel that I see the way I am supposed to. Everything is crisp and clear, both up close and far away. I can now work on my computer and read the newspaper without reading glasses. I can clearly see the food that I am eating. I can see license plates, street and highway signs. I want to shout out to the world how happy I am. I now hope that my newfound vision will remain. I recognize that regression is always a possibility, but I am hopeful that my vision will remain far better than ever before. I wanted to share my success story with those considering enhancement surgery. While there are never any guarantees, there is hope. :D
overcorrectedjw

Postby DryEye » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:57 am

How was the enhancement compared to the initial surgery?
Did you have dry eyes the first time around and was post enhancement?
DryEye

Postby overcorrectedjw » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:14 pm

DryEye,
The enhancement procedure was not very different from the earlier surgery. Although the surgeon lifted the flaps rather than creating them, from the patient perspective the surgery isn't very different. The only significant difference is that you better know what to expect. As for dry eyes, I was still using lubricating drops (Systane about 4X per day) before the enhancement procedure. My eyes were never terrible that way, but it felt better using them. Since the enhancement procedure, I am using lubricating drops (at first Systane vials, and more recently GenTeal drops or a combination of the two). My eyes are most dry first thing in the morning (maybe because of air conditioning). That's the only time that they really bother me.
Regards.
overcorrectedjw

Postby DryEye » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:43 pm

You better know what to expect - as in your visual outcome you expect?
Glad you got the on the money result as it sounded like you were close, but not good enough.
DryEye

Postby overcorrectedjw » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:55 pm

DryEye,
I meant that you're more familiar with the procedure, how it's performed, etc. As for the expected outcome, while I was hopeful, you're never quite sure. It's certainly a relief when the procedure is over and you can tell that you're going to be seeing better. The second time around, my vision was improved right away.
Regards.
overcorrectedjw

Return to Just Had It