dry eyes and Restasis..

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

dry eyes and Restasis..

Postby tootsieroll » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:53 pm

Hi everyone, I am 7 months in now after my PRK surgery and sometimes my eyes burn during the day and sometimes it doesn't and most of the time when I wake up, my eyelids are stuck. Some days I can go all day without drops and I won't remember till the end of the night and there is blurry vision and discomfort. I told my doctor about the dry eye and he put me on Restasis. Do i really need it? I haven't tried it yet cause I am scared after reading all the stories about how much it hurts to put it in and that people get allergic reactions to it :( Can I put in regular drops in a few minutes before Restasis to help with the burn. What can I do if it burns ALOT? How do i know if it's just burning that will go away, or an allergic reaction?? Will I be able to function after I put them in? I'm just paranoid.
tootsieroll

Postby tootsieroll » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:47 pm

Just bumping this because I really need some info on this before I start it..I am anxious to start it and fix the problem but i'm worried at the same time..
tootsieroll

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:25 pm

I have only heard of mild burning sensation for a few seconds after application of Restasis. Some have said that this minor discomfort is much less than the discomfort of the dry eyes.

Restasis is the only medication that directly treats the underlying cause of chronic dry eye. It has been very successful for many.

The stinging is because a tiny amount of liquid soap equivalent is added to Restasis to help with rapid and even distribution of the active ingredients. Not everyone is bothered by this.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

retasis

Postby dan-girls » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:19 am

Hi I was put on retasis after I had my lasik operation last year. I was on it for 4 weeks. I had no adverse reaction when putting them in or otherwise. So don't be afraid of using it. It will help
dan-girls

Postby tootsieroll » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:47 am

I've been on Restasis for almost a month now and I thought there were some improvements, but not sure if its just climate change and wat not. The other night, i was very tired and forgot to put in my lacrilube before bed and woke up with moist eyes. Happy old me thought I could go another night without using lacrilube...well lets just say the next morning was a painful experience. Why does it differ day from day? Will I ever wake up without dry stuck eyes?
tootsieroll

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:26 pm

The vast majority of laser eye surgery patients who have dry eye problems have them resolve within the normal six month healing period. It may be a tough road, but it is undoubtedly going to come to an end.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby tootsieroll » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:56 am

I went in to get a check up and the doctor recommended temporary plugs. I had a plug put into the bottom duct of my left eye. It was fine when I came home but now its sort of annoying me and itching. Is this normal? The doctor says the plugs will last 6-12 weeks and they look like little purple things. I'm afraid I might be having a reaction to it and if it is, can the doctors take it out? If so, how do they do it. Thanks.
tootsieroll

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:30 pm

The plugs can be easily removed and even if not, they dissolve on their own.

Irritation is more likely a sign of a poor fit than an allergic reaction. Report the sensations to your doctor, but don't be surprised if they say to give it a few days. Those few days will also show if the plugs are helping with your dry eye difficulties.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby tootsieroll » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Thanks for the reply. I swear that eye is itchy in the duct area but I am wondering if it's also all in my mind. I feel a little weird and anxious having something stuck in there even though I can't feel it and I can't see it. It last 6 to 12 weeks so how long until it starts dissolving? How do they normally take it out cause theres no tip to grab?
tootsieroll

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:31 pm

When first implanted the punctal plug is full sized and able to be removed. Different plugs dissolve at different rates. Check with your doctor.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby tootsieroll » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:31 am

It's been a couple of days now and I've got to say it fixed the ghosting a bit. It was definitely a bit itchy and swollen in the tear duct area for a couple of days and it just felt odd overall. I think I've gotten use to it now. I also have 0.50 astigmatism in the eye and don't know whether they have contacts for that power or if getting glasses would help. Suggestions?
tootsieroll

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:49 pm

Allow your eyes to heal and settle down. Your 0.50 astigmatism may not be enough to cause significant vision limitations, however it may be a problem in low light environments.

Although you may be able to get a contact lense for low astigmatism, you may want to consider Ortho-Keratology instead. This is wearing a rigid gas permeable (RGP) contact lens at night to reshape the cornea slightly, and then remove them throughout the day. It is, however, too early to try Ortho-K. Your eyes have just started getting the moisture they need. Let them heal.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby DryEye » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:39 am

Isn't Ortho-K costly?
That could have been done in the first place before lasik -correct?
DryEye

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:39 am

Ortho-K can be relatively inexpensive. It does not correct large refractive errors and is not permanent. Within a few hours to days the changes relax back to the original error.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago