Lasik or PRK for High Astigmatism?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Lasik or PRK for High Astigmatism?

Postby JustLooking » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:14 pm

I went for an exam and consult with an eye surgeon in New Orleans. I checked out all of his credentials, and he checked out well. He is the partner of one of your approved Dr.'s, so I think he is a good choice. From looking at the literature that he sent home with me, it looks like he does both Lasik and PRK, but he suggested Custom Lasik for me using the VISX Star S4 ActiveTrackTM Excimer Laser System.

During my exam, he made a comment about my high astigmatism being "borderline" for his machine. Still, he said that I qualify and should have a good result with 20/20 or 20/15 vision from Lasik. I have been reading your forum and others over the last week, and I realize that with astigmatism, I might have to have repeat procedures to get results like that(although he did not mention that). I understand that my results may not be anywhere near perfect. He did tell me that I would need to wear reading glasses after Lasik.

After reading about PRK on this forum, I am wondering if that might not be a better choice. I like the idea of not having the flap cut. I don't know what my cornea measurements and pupil measurements are, but here is my current eye glass information...

OD -3.50 -2.75 x 170
OD -4.25 -2.75 x 170
Bifocal 2

I am a 48 year old female, glasses since third grade. No problems with my eyes that I know of other than the fact that I'm nearly blind without my glasses.

I would like opinions on Custom Lasik vs PRK for the above numbers. I have already paid for the surgery, but with the hurricane knocking out power in New Orleans, it looks like my Friday afternoon Lasik appointment will probably need to be rescheduled. I'm not sure how to go about asking about switching to PRK since I've already scheduled the Lasik, but I'll figure that out when the time comes. I see so many people on this forum suggest that PRK is a better option for people who qualify. I want to make sure that I get the best surgery that is available for my high astigmatism. Thank you for your help. Your forum is a wealth of information.
JustLooking

I decided on PRK

Postby JustLooking » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:41 am

My surgeon's office called this morning and said they were rescheduling all appointments due to power outages from the hurricane. I asked her if I could do the custom PRK instead of the custom Lasik. She checked my file and said that I could do the PRK, but that I have to stay in New Orleans for at least five days so I can be examined each day.

I live about three and a half hours away from New Orleans, but I was able to find a room. I'll have PRK at 11:30 am on Tuesday, September 9th. I'll post my progress.
JustLooking

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:54 pm

Be sure that you arrange for a local doctor to help with follow-up care. This is called co-management and your surgeon should be able to help arrange this.

Please keep us posted about your progress...and have some fun New Orleans while you are there. You don't need to see well to enjoy the Cafe Du Monde.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Thanks...

Postby JustLooking » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:50 pm

I'll be doing most of my followup visits with a Dr. in Pensacola, Florida. I hope Hurricane Ike fizzles out. I'm afraid I'll get cancelled again if he's in the Gulf on Monday. I live near the Gulf in Alabama, so everyone's on watch here, too.

The beignets at Cafe Du Monde are the best!! I do hope I'm feeling up to getting out and about over the five day stay.

I'll start a new topic in the "Just had it" area so I can post my progress. Reading everyone's accounts of surgery and recovery really helped me to know what to expect. Thank you for the time that you take to help people on this site.
JustLooking

Re: Thanks...

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:00 pm

JustLooking wrote:Thank you for the time that you take to help people on this site.

Thank you for your kind words, but I'm only one of the participants on this forum. The experiences of the many patients who visit here provides excellent and important information, and I'm sure your contribution will be equally important to others.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

I'm back from my PRK surgery...

Postby JustLooking » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:02 am

Everything seems to be going well. I just got my contacts out today. My vision is blurry, but I've had glimpses of perfect vision. Better than I've ever had in my entire life. I'm hoping things continue to progress well. I'll start a new link in the "Just Had It Section" tomorrow, as my vision is pretty blurry after a long day today.
JustLooking

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:24 pm

Click PRK and Astigmstism to visit JustLooking's thread in our Just Had It section.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It