6 days post-lasik - everything's a blur

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

6 days post-lasik - everything's a blur

Postby Miksu » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:48 am

I had a wavefront lasik on my right eye 6 days ago. I had about 2 myopia and some astigmatism. I had a check up yesterday and the flap is healing fine. At the moment I have some hyperopia and slight astigmatism.

The problem is that I cannot see well at all. For example reading or watching the computer screen is impossible. Also mid-distance and far-distance are very blurry. With my present refractive error I should be able to see much better than this. Is this something that will settle in time?
Miksu

Postby Miksu » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:32 pm

In the past two days my eyes have improved a lot. I printed out the Snellen chart from the internet. I know it's not that accurate but I like to monitor my progress with it. Yesterday I was able to see the 20/40 line and today the 20/30 line. My vision is not clear, I can read the letters on the 20/30 line but they're very blurry. Could the astigmatism be causing this? I've noticed that my vision outside is much more crisp and clear. Inside everything tends to get blurred.

My close-up vision has improved as well. I can see the text that I'm typing at the moment, even though the vision is not as sharp as I would like it to be.
Miksu

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:01 pm

This sounds like the normal healing process. Expected continued fluctuations and improvement.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby JustLooking » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:35 am

If it helps, my PRK surgeon today told me that people who have Lasik can take six months to heal just like people who have PRK. He said it's a different healing experience for everyone.

He only mentioned it because a girl that he did yesterday was standing outside the door of the exam room and telling him that she had a really bad night of pain after Lasik and felt like she had "hot needles burning her eyes all night". She was surprised about the high degree of pain that she experienced. On the other hand, I had him do PRK (which is supposed to be more painful), and had no real pain at all.

I hope your vision clears soon. I'm blurry like you right now, and it's no fun!!
JustLooking

Thank you for replying

Postby Miksu » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:30 am

Thank you for your replies. I'm trying to be patient which is easier now that my vision has improved to a point where I can function. Mornings are especially blurry for me. It's morning now and I'm having hard time seeing this text on the computer screen. I'll have a check up tomorrow and if everything is fine my left eye will be operated next week. I really want my left eye to be operated as soon as possible even though the results on my right eye haven't been perfect so far. I think the unoperated left eye is messing up my vision at the moment because it's very myopic and I can hardly see anything with it without glasses.
Miksu

update

Postby Miksu » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:20 am

I had the check-up and have some figures now. The operated eye is now at +.75 with .75 astigmatism and the vision is 0.6 (20/30?). A week ago my vision was 0.4 (20/50?) so there has been improvement. My left eye will be operated tomorrow.
Miksu

Postby JustLooking » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:45 pm

I'm so glad that you are seeing some improvement. It sounds like you are making quick progress. Best of luck with your left eye!! Let us know how it goes.
JustLooking

1 day after operation

Postby Miksu » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:13 am

Well, I had my left eye operated yesterday and everything went perfectly. Right after surgery I noticed that my vision in the left eye was much better than it was in the right eye after surgery. In my flap control this morning I was able to read the 20/30 line with both eyes separately. With both eyes together I could read most of the 20/20 line, although it was still quite blurry.

I'm a bit disorienter with my new vision, but still I'm loving it. This morning I was walking outside and enjoying the ability to see. My field of vision is so wide that it feels like I've stepped into a panoramic picture. Also it's amazing to have similar vision in both eyes. Before the surgery my eyes were mismatched (-2.5 in one eye and -4.5 in the other).

Indoors things continue to be blurry, but I'm hoping that it'll improve. How are your eyes doing JustLooking? Is your vision still blurred?
Miksu

Postby JustLooking » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:09 pm

I'm so glad that your second surgery went so well. It is a little strange trying to get our new eyes to "line up", isn't it? I'm having the same problem. It feels like I have one eye that is a foot higher than the other, but looking through them both, things look pretty good. It's really hard to explain.

It is amazing how much better (and like you said, wider) we can see than we did with glasses. I did not realize how bad my vision was before PRK when I was wearing glasses.

I'm doing fine. My vision is still blurry, but it's getting better every day. I think I need to go to town and get a few different sets of reading glasses, as my close vision is worse than it has been. My mid-range and near are coming along, nicely, though. I was told that I would need reading glasses after PRK because I was wearing bifocals before (I'm 48).

PRK is a waiting game, but I am really happy with the way things are going so far. I hope things with your "worse" eye come around soon so you can enjoy your new vision!
JustLooking

Postby Miksu » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:28 pm

It's good to hear that your vision is getting better every day JustLooking!!

I'm loving my left eye :) This morning I could easily read the 20/15 line on my printed out Snellen chart with the left eye. With the right one I'm still struggling to see the 20/30 line clearly :( I really hope that the right eye will catch up with the left one sooner or later.

What bothers me the most with the right eye is the bad mid-range vision. I can't see the computer screen clearly with my right eye unless I'm quite close to it. It doesn't matter so much now that my left eye sees so well, but still I'd like to have at least 20/20 vision in both eyes (isn't that what we all want?).

P.S. My right eye was done with wavefront lasik and the left one with conventional lasik. I wonder if that has something to do with the results? I have very large pupils and that's why my doctor recommended wavefront lasik.
Miksu

Postby JustLooking » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:30 am

Interesting. Your "bad" eye was done with Wavefront? It seems like that should be the one that is doing better. Both of mine were custom wavefront. Maybe your right eye will just take longer to heal up. It will be interesting to follow your progress, anyway. My eyes were way better today than they have been over the last couple of days, so I'm hoping for a good day tomorrow, too.
JustLooking

update

Postby Miksu » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:49 pm

I'm now 3 weeks post-op for my right eye and 1 week post-op for the left eye. The results at the moment are:

Right eye (done with custom wavefront lasik): a VERY blurry 20/25 vision, small halos.

Left eye (done with conventional lasik): crisp 20/20 vision, quite big starbursts around lights at night.

My pupils are very large and custom wavefront lasik was chosen because a bigger flap can be done with it. It was partly a succes, since I don't have much halos in my right eye. The surgery, however, left some hyperopia and astigmatism in my eye and that's why the vision in the right eye is blurred. It has gotten better every week though and I'm not too worried about it.

My doctor chose conventional lasik for the left eye because the results with the right eye weren't as good as they should have been. Everything went perfectly with the left eye and my vision has been crisp and clear since day one. The only downside is that with conventional lasik the flap is smaller which causes the starbursts. They should get smaller in time. There's also a very small wrinkle in the flap, but it should resolve on its own.

Both my eyes are still very dry and I put in artificial tears every hour or so.

All in all, I'm happy with the results. When I'm looking with both my eyes I don't notice the blurriness in the right eye. I still can't quite believe that I can see so well without glasses :D
Miksu

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:12 pm

There may be some communication error between you and your doctor.

The Lasik flap would be the same size whether conventional or wavefront-guided laser ablation was used. The probable difference is the size of the laser treatment area.

Wavefront-guided laser ablations are limited to about 6.0mm. Conventional laser ablations are able to be expanded larger. Your symptoms are consistent with a laser treatment zone that is smaller than the size of your naturally dilated pupils. You may want to read about Lasik halos for more details.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It