conventional lasik; will need enhancement; why the contacts?

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

conventional lasik; will need enhancement; why the contacts?

Postby star45 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:19 pm

I had my 2 month eye appointment and they said that I would probably need an enhancement at 3 months which will be in mid October. They said that they would use contact lenses as a bandage during the recovery time.

Glen, I have a question for you. What kind of an enhancement would I need and why the contacts? Are they for protective reasons or something else? Thanks.
star45

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:09 pm

A bandage contact lens (BCL) is a standard soft contact lens that has no additional refractive power. It is placed over the eye as a protective device, not to help with vision. Think of a BCL as a clear bandage.

There are many reasons a doctor would provide a BCL after enhancement surgery. A primary reason would be if the enhancement was with PRK or LASEK, as these methods require disruption of the epithelium (outermost layer of corneal cells) and additional protection is required. A BCL may be prudent with a conventional Lasik enhancement with a flap lift, depending upon the doctor's opinion.

The BCL will be used for a very short period of time.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby star45 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:09 am

Glenn, thanks for the info. When something new is about to happen, I always want to know the facts and you've provided that. Thanks again.
star45

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:08 pm

Glad to be of service.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago