Lots of floaters after Lasik

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Lots of floaters after Lasik

Postby Pollux » Sun May 25, 2008 3:56 am

I had Lasik done (conventional) in January 2008 and noticed alot of floaters that popped out around 3 months after the surgery. I went to see a regular eye doctor and had my eyes dilated to see if it was serious, she said it wasn't but it's extremely annoying to deal with now. I'm about to turn 26 years old.

Anybody else experience this as well? I know there's no cure for floaters (very unfortunate) but is there anything I can do to ease the floater situation? Anyone know of personal remedies (supplements, etc.)? Thanks.
Pollux

Postby LasikExpert » Sun May 25, 2008 9:15 pm

It seems doubtful that the floaters are directly related to your Lasik, considering they occurred three months after surgery. During Lasik the microkeratome that creates the Lasik flap is affixed to your eye with suction and this can disrupt floaters, but they would likely appear immediately after surgery.

Floaters can be very annoying, but the brain is good at eventually ignoring them. This is similar to the blind spot. We all have a spot in our visual field that is without vision. It is where the optic nerve enters the eye. We don't see it because our brain has learned to ignore it.

You may find this article about floaters interesting.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby lboogie » Mon May 26, 2008 1:57 am

I too have a cobweb of floaters that I DID NOT have prior to surgery. They appeared about 3 months later.

I think that the suction DID cuase them for sure. A posterior vitreous detachment could have occured and the strands only pulled off and into my sight line after 3 months. There is no other viable explanation. Especially given so many people report the side effect.

I hate it -- I am only 29 years old and really hope that they settle our dissipate out of my sight. They swish across my eyes all the time.
lboogie

Postby DryEye » Fri May 30, 2008 5:36 pm

I got more floaters after lasik
It happens and another thing they say shouldn't happen etc etc
Fact is I know I didn't have them like now
DryEye

Postby LasikExpert » Fri May 30, 2008 5:39 pm

lboogie wrote:A posterior vitreous detachment could have occured...

A vitreous detachment can normally be diagnosed by an eye doctor. This would be important to know.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby DryEye » Fri May 30, 2008 5:49 pm

I had them looked at a few months after surgery
Have yearly eye exams, which I'll have in the coming months
Your site should expand into certifying Optometrists
Many Co-manage and like the money from it
As a patient I want to know I am going to Top doc's
My money is good and always pay in one lump sum
I expect the same in return on being serviced
I need to know I am going to someone who knows what they are doing and can handle all outcomes - A Pro
DryEye

Postby TnCW » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:40 am

I have them also.......
I can't say for sure Lasik caused it.......

Took a LONG time to "not see them" all most 6 months.
They are still there....I just don't notice them as much.
TnCW

Postby johnny_F » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:25 pm

I also have floaters as a result of my Lasik. I noticed them about 3 days after my surgery, as my sight became more clear. Very annoying, but what can you do.
johnny_F

re:

Postby komobu » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:17 pm

I have them too...

But I had them before surgery. One of the reasons I chose LASEK instead of LASIK. Overall I actually notice them less 6 months out (but they are still there). I guess it may have to do with the psychological aspect of not having to wear contacts anymore.
komobu

Return to Had It A While Ago