Extensive epithelial ingrowth

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Extensive epithelial ingrowth

Postby bb » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:44 am

I had lasik originally in both eyes in May 2007. My left eye was enhanced an May 2008 and is all ok. My right eye was enhanced on September 9th 2008. I had slight inflammation which was controlled with drops. My 1st week appointment was good and my vision was very good. Two days later I noticed my vision was deteriorating so went back to have it checked. I think I may have knocked my eye slightly in the night. I was told to come back in a week so that they could monitor it. I went for a check on Thursday and the surgeon was summoned to have a look. According to the surgeon I have extensive epithelial ingrowth which needs surgery to remove the cells and have the flap glued in place. He said it wasn't urgent, as in the next couple of days, but should be done in the next couple of weeks. I have been given an appointment for October 30th, which is 5 weeks away so I'm a little worried. What is the worst case scenario if I don't have the surgery soon? My case has been referred to the top man apparently which makes me think there may be more to worry about. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
bb

Postby bb » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:50 pm

Does anybody have any input at all??? Please. I would like to try and make an appointment a bit sooner than 5 weeks away, but I'm not sure if it needs to be done sooner or if I'm just making a fuss about nothing.

My right eye is blurred all of the time at distances and close up. I am unable to read and I find it difficult looking at a computer monitor. I am supposed to be starting a new job next week which would mean 8 hours a day in front of a monitor. Would this aggravate the problem I have? I am getting quite nasty headaches also.
bb

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:51 pm

We have a detailed article about epithelial ingrowth that you may find helpful.

It is highly unlikely that even agressive epithelial ingrowth would cause any long-term damage within the two months from your Lasik enhancement surgery to your surgery to remove the epithelial ingrowth.

You should let staff know that you'd like to come in early. Perhaps they can put you on a "stand by" list in case someone else cancels.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bb » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:08 am

The main reason that I'm concerned is that when the surgeon had a look he said that it was unusual. He said that the cells tended to stay close to the flap edge normally but mine, although there is only a thin layer, have spread further across the flap. This is making my vision very distorted which can be corrected with lenses. I forget what the prescription was but astigmatism was causing the problem, which I'm guessing is being caused by the cells under the flap. Is this likely to get any worse?

I am getting quite severe headaches. I have been wearing an eye patch at home, but this becomes uncomfortable after about an hour.

I have spoken to the clinic and asked for an earlier appointment.
bb

Postby bb » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:21 pm

I now have an appointment for 4pm tomorrow. Hopefully it will all be ok soon.
bb

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:57 pm

Let us know how it goes.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bb » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:05 pm

Had the surgery on Wednesday at 7pm. Very unleasant experience as the surgeon appeared to be scraping at my eyeball. He didn't use glue as he said it wasn't necessary and put a lense bandage on instead. Very painful the same evening when I got home, but feeling much better the following morning. Vision is not back to normal yet but check up yesterday showed no inflammation or infection and the lense bandage was removed. This morning I have no pain at all and the vision seems to be clearing. Have to go back next Wednesday and hopefully all will be well.
bb

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:35 pm

This sounds like the normal course for epithelial ingrowth removal. Expect improvement over the next few days. The doctor will want to check now and again to be sure it does not reoccur.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bb » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:13 pm

Had my seven day check today and my vision is great. Have to go back in 3 weeks for further check but everything seems to be good now.
bb

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:28 am

That's great! Let's hope you have continued good vision.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It