7-9 months after Epi-Lasik - would I do it again?

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

7-9 months after Epi-Lasik - would I do it again?

Postby catnmus » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:20 pm

Here I am, 7-9 months after Epi-Lasik. I ask myself, would I do it again? Here's my story:

My vision was in the -7.00 to -7.75 range - very nearsighted. I'm 43 so I have started to need reading glasses (I was only up to +1.00).

I had the first eye done in January, and the second done in March. You don't have crisp clear vision the day after Epi-Lasik like with regular Lasik, but you do see daily improvements. Until about day 10. Days 10-14 were really scary because it seemed that improvement stopped. But it did eventually resume. I have ended up at 20/25, with a slight astigmatism in both eyes.

This is considered a successful outcome. But when I ask myself if I would do it again, I think I would answer "no". I tolerated my contact lenses just fine, and I had 20/20 vision with them (actually, 20/15), with no astigmatism. The only time I used my regular glasses was for a few minutes in the morning and before bed. Reading glasses are available in any drugstore for $10-20, but they don't correct for astigmatism.

Right now, because I'm 20/25, I actually don't need reading glasses anymore - at the moment. But I suspect my eyes will continue to change, and I will need them later. Meanwhile I also have "night driving" glasses, which are also "read the menu in a fast food restaurant" glasses and "movie theater" glasses and "any other distance viewing" glasses.

Everyone talks about just having an enhancement if your vision doesn't end up where you want it. But what they DON'T tell you is if you get to 20/25 (which is only about a half a diopter), they really don't recommend you go for an enhancement, to avoid overcorrecting you. So, I have to settle for "good enough".

Just to be clear, though. I'm NOT devastated by any means. If I had been dependent on glasses, or if I had trouble wearing contacts, or if I had a really active lifestyle, my answer would be different - I would definitely do it again. But given that I work a desk job and had no problem wearing my contact lenses, some days, when I'm squinting to see that fast food menu because I forgot to bring my glasses, I wish I'd just stuck with my contacts. (I console myself by thinking that at least I have put off the need for reading glasses for a little while.)
catnmus

Re: 7-9 months after Epi-Lasik - would I do it again?

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:52 pm

catnmus wrote:If I had been dependent on glasses, or if I had trouble wearing contacts, or if I had a really active lifestyle, my answer would be different - I would definitely do it again. But given that I work a desk job...

Excellent post! It is so important for each and every person considering laser vison correction to evaluate the actual needs. As you say, a different lifestyle will have different motivations and different benefits.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago