PRK recovery

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

PRK recovery

Postby keith5851 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:58 am

I'm considering refractive surgery (PRK) to correct my nearsightness and am wondering how long I would have to take off from work to recover. From what I've read it's at least a week.

Would I be able to function at work after a week, when I'm on the computer all day?

The time frame for recovery is my main concern in my decision making to have Lasik or PRK. So far every person, I know who has had Lasik are thrilled with the results and would do it again. However, from reading posts on this forum a lot of people prefer PRK
keith5851

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:25 pm

Don't expect to see details for 1-3 days. You will have "functional fuzzy" vision for 1-3 weeks, getting better all the time. It may be possible to work at your computer after the second or third day, but vision will likely be more difficult and you should not expect to have the same productivity as you will when the PRK heals.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby keith5851 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:02 pm

Thanks for the quick response. That brings me to another question.

Would I be able to get both eyes done at the same time if I wanted to return to work fairly soon? or Would you recommend one eye at a time so I would have one eye that could recover and one eye for seeing. Keep in mind I would have to drive to work.
keith5851

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:48 pm

If you have both eyes done at the same time you will be fully debilitated, unable to drive, fix your own meals, or even see well enough to know which medications and eye drops to take and when.

Unless you have someone who can be your shadow, one eye at a time would likely be best.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

I had one eye at a time...

Postby catnmus » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:48 pm

I had Epi-Lasik, one eye done at a time, and I would recommend that, if you can do it. I was only out of work for about 4 days total - the day of each surgery, and day 2 after surgery - turned out that about hours 24 through 48 after the surgery was the worst - tearing, itching, swelling. I had no problem working on the computer otherwise.

Eye #2 was originally scheduled for 5 weeks after eye #1. But from about day 10 through about 15, I had no progression, and maybe even some regression, and that concerned me. So I ended up delaying the 2nd eye until about 9 weeks after, when I was more comfortable.

Driving would be a problem. I did have someone to drive me on day 1, but I think I drove pretty soon after that - daylight only for the first week. Since I had to have my contacts out 3 days before the second surgery, and my prescription is so high, I couldn't wear my glasses for those days either. I didn't want to drive with only one good eye, so I had someone to drive me then, too. I had a pretty high prescription, though - -7.00 and -7.75. If your prescription is lower, you might have better luck with the driving.
catnmus

Postby houstonman » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:02 am

keith5851 wrote:Thanks for the quick response. That brings me to another question.

Would I be able to get both eyes done at the same time if I wanted to return to work fairly soon? or Would you recommend one eye at a time so I would have one eye that could recover and one eye for seeing. Keep in mind I would have to drive to work.

Hows it going? I havent been here for a while but I did have PRK work done. Im 24 and had it done close to a year ago this coming nov. I had both eyes done at the same time. I was able to see better than I did without my glasses before the surgery however it was fuzzy. I slept all day and the next morning I was in a bit of pain for maybe 30 min. Not sure why but it hurt pretty bad. Later that after noon I walked out side and was amazed I could see across street. Day 4 is where I want to say I was back to the computer working all day. At that point vision fluctuated but I was able to drive and so forth. I would say take the week off if all possible. I would knock at both eyes as well. I wasnt handicapped or anything just didnt do well with like for 2-3 days. First 2 days you are not going to want to come out of the dark room.

Oh and if you go through with it ...invest in some good polarized glasses. I did this and was so happy I did.
houstonman

Postby keith5851 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:34 am

Hey man thanks for your experience with the surgery. I am 23 and my vision is -3.50 in both eyes. I have an appointment for my consultation in a week and will know if I'm a candidate for lasik or PRK. I had a pre-consulation (when i went to get glasses) before my actual consultation and they said I would be a candidate for something, maybe not lasik because my corneas were on the thin side and my pupils were a little large. We will see in a week. However I have a couple of questions for you.

houstonman wrote: I was able to see better than I did without my glasses before the surgery however it was fuzzy.

What was your prescription before you had the surgery? Also how long did it take for you to fully heal/ see 20/20 in both eyes? Also since having it done after a year, would you do it again? Was it worth the money and healing time involved?
keith5851

Postby JustLooking » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:08 am

I'm on day 40 of my PRK recovery (both eyes at once). I was nearsighted with pretty high astigmatism. I would consider today to be my first day of totally "normal and all-around functional" vision.

That being said, I have been using the computer most all day since about day five post surgery. I'm 48, so I will need reading glasses, but I can tell you that using the computer has been a tough road for me. However, I've been able to manage to finish everything that I need to do on the computer. Since your job depends on you using the computer all day, you might find it to be a miserable experience, but you could probably get through it provided you have a good surgical outcome. Driving to work might be a problem for the first two weeks or so. Everyone's different. If you are in a rural area, as I am, driving is not as difficult as it would be in the city.

I've been posting a daily log of my recovery in the "Just Had It Section" if you are interested, but everyone has a different recovery. It seems like younger folks have a much easier time when it comes to recovery.

When people talk about blurry vision post-PRK, it's not like the blurry that you get when you take your glasses off. It's a functional kind of blurry. You can see the object clearly, but it's slightly blurred. At least that's the way it was for me. I have not had any problem functioning or getting around at all. I waited longer than most before trying to drive, but mostly because I had no where that I needed to go.

I will say that I could have had Lasik, but I'm really glad that I decided on PRK instead. I know that I was at least 20/20 today, and probably better. I've got a long ways to go before my healing is complete, but I'm thrilled. You will not believe how much better you can see with Lasik or PRK than you did with glasses (provided you have a good outcome). The difference is amazing to me. It really is like the HD or "x-ray" vision that people describe. I also notice that I don't get motion sickness in the car anymore. I guess it must have been caused by my progressive bifocals or something. I used to get sick every time I had to ride with someone, but I have not had a problem since my PRK. I'm thrilled beyond words.
JustLooking

Postby houstonman » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:09 pm

What was your prescription before you had the surgery? Also how long did it take for you to fully heal/ see 20/20 in both eyes? Also since having it done after a year, would you do it again? Was it worth the money and healing time involved?[/quote]

I dont remember by prescription but I can tell you that I couldnt even get up to serve my self some water without my glasses. I was BLIND. Couldnt make out faces from on couch to another. Its hard to say when I could see 20/20 because I went in like 3 days later and I was 20/15 however going outside and bright lights made it hard for me to see. Thank god for polerized lenses. Also vision fluctuates for 3 months. I could see perfectly after a week without sun bothering me ...if not a week it was sooner. After having it done for a year YES, I would have no problem getting it done again in a heartbeat. Wish I didnt pay so much (6,000) but it was the best doc around so u get what u pay for. It was very much worth the healing time and he money and every day I think about it and am amazed by the results. It will CHANGE YOUR LIFE AROUND! I'm a whole new person because of it...outgoing, not shy, no worries of lost glasses or them fogging on me when I get out of my car and so forth. Trust me... best investment ever!
houstonman

Return to Thinking About It