Post PRK, Wear -0.25 for driving.

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Post PRK, Wear -0.25 for driving.

Postby PRK_EYES » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:03 am

I am curious as to wear contact lens for driving.

I can read my monitor without reading glasses sometimes.

Comes to driving, I can see clearly with my contact lens with the power

of -0.25. Does it mean I am under corrected by -0.25?
PRK_EYES

Postby JustLooking » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:46 am

Hi. I saw your other thread where you said you were just two weeks or so out of surgery. I can't comment on the contact lens issue (but I'm sure that someone will comment soon), but I can tell you that PRK is a very, very long process when it comes to healing and clear vision. I don't think I've ever read a report from anyone who had perfect vision at only two weeks out.

I'm five weeks out of PRK surgery, and my vision fluctuates wildly each and every day. Sometimes, it seems better than perfect, but thirty minutes later, I can barely make out the clock on the wall.

I don't think anyone could tell you if you were over corrected or under corrected this early on. Most surgeons won't even consider a revision for six months or longer because it simply takes that long to heal and see your final results.

It's cool that you found a fix for now, though, if your doctor says it's ok to wear contacts this soon out of surgery. Best of luck with your healing!
JustLooking

Postby PRK_EYES » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:01 am

My eyes were very bad on the first 10 days.
My doctor Okay my contact lens so I can drive to work.
I took them off after I get there.

I am exactly 3 weeks after surgery now.
My cousin had the same doctor a year ago.
He see very well just 3 days after he took out his contact lens.
Starburst & halos were gone after 1 week.

What I cannot understand is what makes my vision clear.
If the surface on my cornea is rough, it dispersed the light so it is a blur.
With contact lens, light hit contact lens first, then the rough cornea surface. Somehow my vision is clear.

In my simple mind, I am wearing -0.25 contacts to have clear vision.
I must be -0.25 under correct.
PRK_EYES

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:04 am

PRK_EYES wrote:With contact lens, light hit contact lens first, then the rough cornea surface. Somehow my vision is clear.

In my simple mind, I am wearing -0.25 contacts to have clear vision.
I must be -0.25 under correct.

Not quite. The underside of the contact lens will press against the soft pliable outer layer of corneal cells and make a smooth surface at the contact plane. What happens is the light hits the smooth surface of the outside of the contact, and then proceeds through the smooth surface of the back side of the contact and then throught the cornea and into the eye.

The 0.25 diopter contact lens is probably compensating for a thinner than required epithelial layer. This would be about 3 microns, or about 1/20th of the width of a single human hair. After a while it is probable that the epithelium will thicken and resolve both the smooth surface and undercorrection problem.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby PRK_EYES » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:18 am

Glenn, Thanks for clearing that up for me.

It sounds as if my vision were to be 20/20 right now.
By the time my epithelial layer is fully healed. I might become farsighted.
PRK_EYES

Return to Just Had It