LASIK flap only - "card" problem

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

LASIK flap only - "card" problem

Postby Apprehensive » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:40 am

Today (11/13), I went in for a LASIK procedure. After the flaps was created (but not pulled back) with the laser, everything went silent.

After what seemed like eternity, the doctor told me to sit up. He explained that a card that is used to count the number of procedures was not working properly and that he could not continue.

I was appalled. I am very concerned.

1. Are there any complications that I should be aware of when the flap is created one day but then having to return the next day?

2. I'm concerned that the flap "cut" is healing and that it won't be as "clean" as if they proceeded immediately after the laser. For example, it seems like it would it be like having a wound start to scab then trying to reopen it. Is there more of a chance for complications? ghosting? halos?

3. Does it sound plausible that a card could not work after the laser treatment?

Any feedback would be helpful!
Apprehensive

It should be okay

Postby catnmus » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:55 am

I don't REALLY know anything about it, but from what I understand, when people who have had Lasik have to come in for an enhancement, the surgeon just "lifts" the old flap and then puts it back down again afterward. I'm not sure how long they can go and still lift it, but I don't think you have to worry too much if it's only going to be a day or two or three. They usually wouldn't do enhancements for a couple of weeks, I think.
catnmus

Return to Just Had It