Reading My Prescription

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Reading My Prescription

Postby nachtwey » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:00 pm

If my contact lens prescription reads -8.25 under "Power" does that mean my diopter is -8.25? Or does that only refer to the contacts?

Once a flap is cut during surgery, is it then always there? I read about a flap being dislodged during sports.

After Lasik surgery, if my eyesight worsens years later (not presbyopia) can Lasik be done again?

Thanks for the wonderful website. I'm lost in confusion and fear right now, but gradually improving thanks to all your information in one place.
nachtwey

Re: Reading My Prescription

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:12 pm

nachtwey wrote:If my contact lens prescription reads -8.25 under "Power" does that mean my diopter is -8.25? Or does that only refer to the contacts?

Your contacts correct 8.25 diopters of myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision. Your glasses perscription would probably be a bit higher.

nachtwey wrote:Once a flap is cut during surgery, is it then always there? I read about a flap being dislodged during sports.

Once you have had Lasik you have always had Lasik. The Lasik (and IntraLasik) flap does heal, but not like a cut on your arm. There is always a difference. It is possible for the flap to become dislodged with severe trauma to the cornea. You may want to read more about Lasik flap healing.

Although there may be a margin of additional safety if you have a surface ablation technique like PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik, there would be an increased risk of corneal haze developing immediately after surgery. If you decide to have refractive surgery, Lasik or IntraLasik would probably be the most appropriate.

nachtwey wrote:After Lasik surgery, if my eyesight worsens years later (not presbyopia) can Lasik be done again?

You would probably be able to have Lasik enhancement even surgery years after initial surgery. Whether or not it would be appropriate would depend upon the nature of your vision problem and if there is enough untouched corneal tissue to allow additional ablation without making the cornea unstable. If Lasik enhancement is not possible, PRK on top of the Lasik flap may be appropriate. Of course, glasses and contact lenses would be an alternative.

nachtwey wrote:Thanks for the wonderful website. I'm lost in confusion and fear right now, but gradually improving thanks to all your information in one place.

I'm delighted to hear that you are finding our information useful and are waiting until you can make an informed decision.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It