PRK - Should I do it?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

PRK - Should I do it?

Postby i_am_oasis » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:45 pm

I have a Wavefront PRK surgery scheduled in the next couple days.

My eye prescription is:

OD -1.25 x -0.75 x 75

OS -1.50 x -0.50 x 90

Will I achieve 20/20 or better after surgery?

Can one assume that if you have lower myopia the chances of 20/20 or better are greater than say someone with Moderate or High (ex -8.00)?

Can I assume that a “weak” prescription has a better chance at 20/20?

Also, my doc said he'd slightly overcorect me... does that mean I would be having difficulties reading up close?
i_am_oasis

Postby wavefront surfer » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:05 pm

I have a doubt about PRK and flap techonology, seems that with PRK the cornea remains more stable BUT you can induce an ectasia more easly than doing the flap
wavefront surfer

Re: PRK - Should I do it?

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:08 am

I'm going to preface my response that I have a suspicion that your prescription actually starts with a plus sign, not a minus sign. If it actually starts with a plus sign, then none of my answers apply.

i_am_oasis wrote:Will I achieve 20/20 or better after surgery?

This is a realitvely mild error that is well within the range of correction. Whether or not you will attain 20/20 depends on much more than just your prescription.

i_am_oasis wrote:Can one assume that if you have lower myopia the chances of 20/20 or better are greater than say someone with Moderate or High (ex -8.00)?

Yes, this is a correct assumption.

i_am_oasis wrote:Also, my doc said he'd slightly overcorect me... does that mean I would be having difficulties reading up close?

There are two parts of this that don't make sense to me. I cannot think of any reason you should be overcorrected any amount.

Since you mention reading ability, I assume that you are over age 40 and presbyopic. While reducing the astigmatism may provide superior vision quality, removing your myopia (nearsighted) vision may provide a result you don't really want. You should read about Sudden Presbyopia.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:15 am

wavefront surfer wrote:I have a doubt about PRK and flap techonology, seems that with PRK the cornea remains more stable BUT you can induce an ectasia more easly than doing the flap

Actually, that is opposite.

Corneal instability can occur when the cornea is made too thin. PRK removes the corneal tissue on the surface of the cornea, thereby the greatest amount of corneal tissue remains untouched. Lasik (PRK with a flap) starts removing the corneal tissue at 100-180 microns into the cornea - the thickness of the flap - thereby reducing the untouched thickness by 100-180 microns.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It