To Enchance or Not To Enhance...That is the question.

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

To Enchance or Not To Enhance...That is the question.

Postby Cactusgod » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:47 am

Hey guys,

So i've made a few posts on the boards in times past and some of you may or may not have seen my story. I had lasik in one eye in June of 07' and a few months later I started getting some problems. Dryness, focusing issues, starbursts, halos, ghosting...the works really.

Finally I've come to the point where my doctor thinks an enhancement could solve some of my problems with focusing and such because I still have a residual prescription. However, she's not sure whether or not the enhancement would solve my ghosting, halos, starburst issues.

So I have a few problems and maybe some of you can help and perhaps give me advice. What would you do? I don't know if my ghosting and halos and starburst issues are a result of dry eye or of the original surgery, and my dry eye tests came up at 20 in the left and 15 in the right. (Schwimmer test? I forget) So, I dont want to risk having WORSE dry eye, although every doctor seems to tell me that permanent lasik induced dry eye is extremely rare, despite some of the testimonies I've seen.

The odd thing is, I wake up in the morning and for awhile I dont have as much ghosting. However...after putting drops in, I still SEE the ghosting. She suggested that if it was dry eye related they would go away once the drops were in...so I'm confused.

Also, I don't want to potentially have an over/under-correction, which she said could happen just as it could have in the original surgery.

So...I could get a contact lens and vision training, but then I'm essentially doing what I avoided doing in the beginning by getting the surgery in the one eye. On the other hand...I'd potentially risk going into another surgery after I already said to myself "Darn I wish I could take that back and just have chosen the contact lens"

So...I dont know. Any opinions or advice would be most welcome.

Thanks
Cactusgod

Postby vj » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:58 pm

hi cactus
as far as I see, if the doc is not willing to give you a word on the results...i think you should avoid it if possible. Since, the doc is not able to decide if you would see any improvement or not, I believe she is being fatalist.
Try to judge how confident your surgeon is.
I am 3 months post op and have been left undercorrected both eyes (R) -1
(L) .50. I was -7.5 (L) & -7.25 (R) before op
Even to this day I see ghostings, starburst, and kind off distorted vision when my pupils dilate (at night/or in dark)
I am getting enhancement done only for right eye and not left. My doc suggests for Left eye its not worth the risk, but he would surely correct the right one.
I think you can do is take second opinion on your situation from a different surgeon if possible
vj

Postby goose11057 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:29 pm

I am struggling with a similar issue as to get an enhancement or stay with what I have even if it is not optimal. My posting is above "enhancement, contacts or glasses". My situation is closer to VJ and my right eye is -.25 and left eye is -1.25. While this is a type of monovision without one eye 20/20 I find I need contacts or glasses most of the time. The downside will be giving up close vision due to my age of 52 so I will probably need reading glasses for close up. I am leaning toward the enhancement.
goose11057

Postby It's Just Me » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:19 am

goose11057 wrote:I am struggling with a similar issue as to get an enhancement or stay with what I have even if it is not optimal. My posting is above "enhancement, contacts or glasses". My situation is closer to VJ and my right eye is -.25 and left eye is -1.25. While this is a type of monovision without one eye 20/20 I find I need contacts or glasses most of the time. The downside will be giving up close vision due to my age of 52 so I will probably need reading glasses for close up. I am leaning toward the enhancement.

that's what my left eye was done at (-1.25) and I'm finding it's totally inadequate for seeing very well at this time. Maybe further healing as this is in the "had it a while ago" board :)
I will be getting another surgery on it if it's stays this blurry.
It's Just Me

Postby It's Just Me » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:46 pm

well. I'm getting another surgery tomorrow.

Still blurry. Hope this works!!!
It's Just Me

Postby It's Just Me » Sat May 02, 2009 4:08 am

IT WORKED!!!!!!

Very very clear at any distance.

I am shocked. I could tell the second I got up off the operating table. Everything was clear.

I am so happy :) :) :)
It's Just Me

Postby LasikExpert » Mon May 11, 2009 3:59 pm

It's great to see that you are seeing better! To enhance is often a difficult decision because you don't want to take the chance of making things worse, but that little bit of change can make a bit difference in vision quality.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago