Ghosting / Glare in Right Eye

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Ghosting / Glare in Right Eye

Postby viv1984 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:45 pm

Hi All,

I had custom lasik on 3rd Oct, 2008. My number was -2.75(L) and -4.25(R) with astigmatism of around -0.75 in both eyes. My doctor advised Custom Lasik instead of Wavefront guided lasik for getting crystal clear vision (Maybe a marketing gimmick :D ).

10 days post-op i was detected with few folds on right flap. I am experiencing problem in night vision such as glare / doubling when i see Halogen / Street lamps with right eye. When I see lighted candles in dark with my right eye, I can see double image of the flame, although not very significant. Also my visual acuity in right eye gets reduced during night. During the day time, I have also observed that the contrast sensitivity in right eye is not as good as left eye. My left eye is crisp, hence i am not panicking nor I am facing any problem while using both eye. My doctor told me that we can re-lift the flap and reposition it again, but he also gave a word of caution that the enhancement is not worth the risk the benefit we can get after enhancement. He said that something can go wrong during / after the enhancement procedure and there is risk involved in it. He said I will adjust to the problem I am facing in long run and advised me to leave the flap as it is.

But I am worried that it may create further problem in future. please let me know whether re-lifting the flap has any potential side effects as said by my doctor? Also whether the flap can be relifted after one month without any trouble?

After my surgery while researching online on Striaes , I have found various websites which describes lasik as devastating for eye; whether it is true??? Those websites are driving me crazy..

Please reply asap..

Regards,
viv1984
viv1984

Postby engmsf » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:37 pm

Similar to you Viv1984, I had my procedure done on October 2 but with intralase wavefront lasik. My prescription was -7.5.

How are you finding your close and distant vision with your right eye? When I look at candles or light sources at night, I too detect a slight ghosting and double image. This affects my day time vision as well as my right eye has a problem even reading computer text and street signs.

My doctor mention that I had inflammation in my right eye and I need to let it clear away. It has been one month now for me and there is a big difference in visually clarity between my left and right eye.
engmsf

Postby viv1984 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:45 am

engmsf wrote:Similar to you Viv1984, I had my procedure done on October 2 but with intralase wavefront lasik. My prescription was -7.5.

How are you finding your close and distant vision with your right eye? When I look at candles or light sources at night, I too detect a slight ghosting and double image. This affects my day time vision as well as my right eye has a problem even reading computer text and street signs.

My doctor mention that I had inflammation in my right eye and I need to let it clear away. It has been one month now for me and there is a big difference in visually clarity between my left and right eye.

My close vision is pretty good with my right eye, but its only the distance vision which is affected due to poor contrast sensitivity in day and glares/ghosting in night. Even during the day, when i compare the street signs between left and right eye, there is a good difference between both eyes.

Glenn, may I have your expert opinion?
viv1984

Glenn, Where are u?

Postby viv1984 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:21 am

Glenn, Can you give your opinion...
viv1984

Re: Ghosting / Glare in Right Eye

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:09 pm

viv1984 wrote:But I am worried that it may create further problem in future.

It is not likely that the Lasik flap striae will get worse. It is much more likely that it will get better.

viv1984 wrote:please let me know whether re-lifting the flap has any potential side effects as said by my doctor?

If you had a very thin flap (100 microns or less), it is possible the flap would tear during lifting. This could be very problematic.

What is probably the more likely concern is epithelial ingrowth after a flap lift. This is a relative benign problem, but one that you want to avoid.

viv1984 wrote:Also whether the flap can be relifted after one month without any trouble?

The flap can be relifted at almost any time, but after a few months it less like a lift and more like separating the cornea at the location of the original incision. They hold down pretty tight.

The more appropriate question is if lifting the flap later would resolve a striae problem. If it is macro-striae, the earlier the lift the better. If it is micro-striae, flap lift and smoothing is much less effective.

viv1984 wrote:After my surgery while researching online on Striaes , I have found various websites which describes lasik as devastating for eye; whether it is true??? Those websites are driving me crazy..

Driving you crazy seems to be exactly what the people behind these websites want to do. There are actually only a very few people who have multiple aliases and multiple websites that promote the sky is falling on Lasik mantra. If you use basic logic and common sense, you will be better able to put their claims in perspective.

Two good sources for information about Lasik outcomes are the USAEyes CORE patient survey and a very balanced Lasik complicationswebsite I highly recommend.

If you have not alread, be sure to read our article on Lasik flap wrinkles.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It