So I got Lasik in Colombia despite my underlying dry eye con

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

So I got Lasik in Colombia despite my underlying dry eye con

Postby AThingDivine1 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:11 pm

This is just a posting of the stupid. Anyway, here goes.

...I went on a trip to Colombia in September, with plans to get Lasik at a clinic in Medellin. Colombia's pretty well known for having good Lasik doctors. I'd been told I was a good candidate here in the U.S. Before I left the States, though, I noticed that my left eye was blurrier than usual, despite contacts and glasses. After about a month of this (during which it was getting better toward the end), the day before I left for Colombia, I visited a doc who said I had extreme dryness in the left eye and that I shouldn't get Lasik until this underlying condition was fixed. Then he gave me antibiotics (Tobrex), with instructions to use it for a week.

Well, after a week I felt fine. So I decided to just go for the procedure. The doc said both my eyes looked good. I know. It was dumb on my part, and greedy on his (I told him I only recently got off medicine, and that I wasn't seeing the letters as clearly as I should have...he brushed off any potential concerns). The day after the procedure (done with a blade and the latest Visx machine), my right eye's vision was great, but the left was blurry. Turned out the dryness had come back. In fact, he said it was so dry if he had seen those spots the previous day, he wouldn't have done it. That, of course, scared the heck outta me.

So I'm back in the States and on Restasis. My US doc actually says my eyes should be healthy again after the extreme dryness goes away (he also put plugs in my eyes). My left eye vision, though, isn't as good as my right. The right is still fluctuating; it goes anywhere between 20/15 and 20/20 (lately moving toward 20/20). The left was actually for a time better than 20/20, but now I think it's at 20/25 or so. And the funny part is that I see certain lights blurry. No, it's not the halo effect. It's that certain types of light - the most prominent example is the lights used in traffic lights, particularly in the pedestrian walkway signs (or maybe I just notice it more when driving) - are a bit blurry. Again, this is mostly with the left eye.

I guess I'm wondering - these fluctuations are normal, right? It's been about 2.5 months. Anyone know the repercussions of getting Lasik when you haven't fixed the underlying dry eye condition first? Did it affect the reading we did on my eyes? Anyone have such trouble with the lights? And if my left eye gets worse, would I be a contender for an enhancement (done here in the States)? I have thick corneas.

Thanks for any advice.
AThingDivine1

Re: So I got Lasik in Colombia despite my underlying dry eye

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:52 pm

AThingDivine1 wrote:So I'm back in the States and on Restasis. My US doc actually says my eyes should be healthy again after the extreme dryness goes away (he also put plugs in my eyes).

This is the treatment that would have been best started before Lasik, but starting it now will undoubtedly help and hopefully get you back to normal.

AThingDivine1 wrote:I guess I'm wondering - these fluctuations are normal, right?

Fluctuations between 20/15 (better than normal vision) and 20/20 (normal vision) are undoubtedly very normal. Remember, the most you should ever expect is normal vision after Lasik.

Fluctuations in the dry eye are to be expected and are likely to be much greater in range from good to bad.

AThingDivine1 wrote:It's been about 2.5 months.

According to the manufacturer, Restasis requires at least 90 days to become fully effective, but some relief may arrive earlier.

AThingDivine1 wrote:Anyone know the repercussions of getting Lasik when you haven't fixed the underlying dry eye condition first?

A problem you face is knowning exactly what is causing the dry eye. Was it the natural dry eye that was treated just before surgery, or is it related to the Lasik? Fortunately, the treatments for dry eye, be it naturally occurring or Lasik induced, are about the same.

AThingDivine1 wrote:Did it affect the reading we did on my eyes?

It sounds like your eyes were "normal" just before surgery, so it probably did not greatly affect the reading.

AThingDivine1 wrote:Anyone have such trouble with the lights?

Yes. It happens all the time during the initial healing stages. Some people have greatest difficulty with LED lights, or specific colors. It is caused by a shift in the light frequency and/or light scatter of a specific frequency as it travels through the altered cornea. Continued healing will do the most to resolve this problem.

AThingDivine1 wrote:And if my left eye gets worse, would I be a contender for an enhancement (done here in the States)? I have thick corneas.

If by worse you mean refractive error, then you would likely be a candidate for enhancement surgery. If by worse you mean dry eye, then no, you would not be a very good candidate for enhancement surgery.

You may want to read our articles about dry eye and dry eye treatment.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It