Recovery?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Recovery?

Postby Concerned » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:38 pm

I had PRK almost 5 weeks ago. I have to admit that I am getting quite concerned at this point. My doctor said that everything is on track but I never expected the recovery to be like this. I can only see well for about an hour in the morning. I have terrible ghosting and my vision is blurry after this hour. I am still unable to drive due to the ghosting and blurriness.

The doctor said I have 20/20 in my left eye and 20/25 in my right but I don't understand that. How can that be when I can't see anything! In order for me to even attempt to read the eye chart, they have me look through a tiny hole and I struggle and just end up guessing based on the shape of the blur.

I understood it was going to be a long recovery but I never expected 5 weeks later to still be struggling at work and having someone drive me around. I am wondering if there is a light at the end of the tunnel! I am wishing I did not have this procedure done at this point.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am being concerned for no reason? Any thoughts/comments will be appreciated. I am running out of patience.

:(
Concerned

Seem fishy to me

Postby catnmus » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:57 am

Your vision results through a pinhole are COMPLETELY INAPPROPRIATE to say that's what your vision is. I know PRK takes longer (it was about 8 weeks before I settled at 20/25 with epi-lasik which is a similar procedure), but telling you your vision score with a pinhole is immaterial. You should not settle on that as "you see fine".

On the other hand, you should not give up just yet. At about 10 days out, I was VERY unhappy with my vision in the first eye, but by 8 weeks I was comfortable with having the second eye done. It's now almost a year later. I'm not 20/20 (which is annoying) but it's better than it was at 5 weeks.

However, I would say that by 3 months if you still can't drive yourself, your doctor needs to be saying the word "enhancement" and/or you should get a second opinion.
catnmus

Hang in there...

Postby JustLooking » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:52 am

I was also really frustrated with my post-PRK vision at five weeks. I'm at three months out now, and I LOVE my PRK vision. I kept a daily log under this forum if you would like to see how frustrating my journey was. Overall, I think it was easier than I expected from what I had read of other peoples experiences, but I had days where I wondered if I would ever have normal vision again. I think you will be just fine, but you probably won't begin to feel great about your vision until you are at the two month mark or so. Hang in there!!
JustLooking

Postby Concerned » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:25 pm

I appreciate your feedback. I will have to look at your daily log, "JustLooking". I knew it was going to take awhile for recvorey but did not expect it quite like this. My hopes is that my Christmas I will be able to see better. That would be a great gift. In the meantime, I am just getting frustrated on much I have to struggle to get through my days. I am lucky to have someone that can drive around and a job that is understanding of my situation (since I certainly can not be as productive as I usually am). But I miss my independency!!
Concerned

Postby JustLooking » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:35 pm

I totally understand your concern and frustration, especially this time of year. I think my reading vision was the worst part of the whole thing for me (because I did not have to drive very often and rarely in a large city). It took at least eight weeks before I had anything near functional reading vision. Reading glasses helped some (I'm 48), but it was only recently that I have been able to read without any strain (still using reading glasses, of course). Much better now. Makes me wish I had looked into monovision, as I am having a tough time getting used to grabbing my glasses when I need to see something up close.

Anyway, you should begin seeing some major changes for the better with your vision over the next three weeks or so. I've got my three month followup on Friday, so I'll let you know how it goes. Here's the link to my daily log...http://www.usaeyes.org/ask-lasik-expert/viewtopic.php?t=1908
JustLooking

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:54 am

PRK can be a long and frustrating recovery. Obvously you had surgery on both eyes at the same time, which is what I did but I would not recommend.

The pinhole vision check is appropriate, but the doctor should not determine your current vision acuity (Snellen 20/Whatever) by pinhole vision.

Stop guessing the letters. You should report the letters that appear with the same clarity that you had before surgery. Knowing that something that looks like a Chia-Pet pyramid could only be the letter "A" is a measurement of your deductive reasoning, not your visual acuity.

Please keep us informed of your progress.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It