Are the LASERs typically equipped with emergency power?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Are the LASERs typically equipped with emergency power?

Postby Mark20 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:16 pm

I recently had an evaluation and after two "Wow, you have thick corneas" (though I didn't get the number) found out I'm a candidate.

After a partial power failure at work a few days later the question of whether the LASERs are typically connected to uninterruptable power supplies popped into my mind.

I don't think it would be too good for the patient to have a LASER go down in the middle of a treatment.

Does anybody know?
Mark20

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:05 pm

It is my understanding that virtually all lasers have an uninterrupted power supply that will allow the laser to shut down safely. Even a total loss of power would not be a catastrophe. The laser would stop, the doctor would reposition the flap over the treatment area, new measurements would be taken, data from the aborted surgery would be compared, the flap would be lifted (hours, days, weeks, months later), the remaining amount of laser energy would be applied, the flap would be repositioned over the treatment area to complete the surgery.

It would be virtually the same as enhancement surgery.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It