lasik flap long term stability

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

lasik flap long term stability

Postby wavefront surfer » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:49 am

Hello, is there anyone who knows any research about the lasik flap long term stability?

thx
wavefront surfer

Postby bikereyes » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:25 am

I have the same question.. since I have been thinking about doing all laser instead of PRK just because it heals quicker, but I am concerned about the flap detaching from a slight rub on my eye.. if guys in the military have it done.. I am guessing they have PRK for this reason or LASIK?
bikereyes

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:22 pm

After healing, you are not going to dislocate a Lasik flap by rubbing your eye unless you really whack at it like you're digging for gold. We have a detailed article about Lasik flap healing that may be valuable.

I just reviewed the latest articles at the US National Library of Medicine on long-term (15 yr, 11 yr, and 10 yr follow-up) stability of Lasik and no abstracts mention flap displacement. Flap can be displaced, such as blunt trauma, however Lasik is approved for NASA, most US military special services, Air Force pilots, and even US Navy Top Gun fighter pilots.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby beingbobbyorr » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:56 am

LasikExpert wrote:After healing, you are not going to dislocate a Lasik flap by rubbing your eye unless you really whack at it like you're digging for gold. We have a detailed article about Lasik flap healing that may be valuable.

I just reviewed the latest articles at the US National Library of Medicine on long-term (15 yr, 11 yr, and 10 yr follow-up) stability of Lasik and no abstracts mention flap displacement. Flap can be displaced, such as blunt trauma, however Lasik is approved for NASA, most US military special services, Air Force pilots, and even US Navy Top Gun fighter pilots.

Do you know if the Navy or Air Force are looking at PIOLs' ability to withstand high G-forces for aviators? I don't mean that the PIOL would itself break or disintegrate, but that the G-forces might cause flexion that could cause the PIOL to strike other eye structures (i.e., natural lens, causing cataract)
beingbobbyorr

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:19 am

I do not know of any military investigation into phakic intraocular lenses (P-IOL).
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby It's Just Me » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:06 pm

Right...after healing...but, days 1-3 are pretty important :)

"........Days 1 to 3 post-op Immediately post-op as the flap is re-positioned and the doctor "squeegees" out excess moisture under the flap, a negative osmotic pressure is created that "sucks" the flap onto the stromal bed and holds it there. The flap is held in place fairly well at this time, barring physical trauma such as rubbing the eye or a poke in the eye. Of course, this is a very vulnerable period because any trauma to the flap could easily dislodge it, hence the importance of wearing eye shields at night and similar protections....."

Phase IIquote="LasikExpert"]After healing, you are not going to dislocate a Lasik flap by rubbing your eye unless you really whack at it like you're digging for gold. We have a detailed article about Lasik flap healing that may be valuable.

I just reviewed the latest articles at the US National Library of Medicine on long-term (15 yr, 11 yr, and 10 yr follow-up) stability of Lasik and no abstracts mention flap displacement. Flap can be displaced, such as blunt trauma, however Lasik is approved for NASA, most US military special services, Air Force pilots, and even US Navy Top Gun fighter pilots.[/quote]
It's Just Me

Return to Thinking About It