Asymmetric healing after LASIK?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Asymmetric healing after LASIK?

Postby esepu » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:59 am

I had LASIK 7 weeks ago. My right eye vision is now fine, but my left eye vision is little bit blurred. I can tell the difference very clearly when reading panoramic adverts with my right eye only, but failing to do it with my left eye only. With both eyes, I can also read them, but I feel that my vision quality is not as good as the vision I used to have when using glasses. I have also this problem with near reading, but it is less severe.

Is it possible that one eye heals quicker than the other? Is it possible to still get improvement in the clarity of my left eye sight after 7 weeks of surgery? Maybe it’s important to mention that I still see halos and stars at night, and they are also worst with my left eye than with my right eye.

Finally a rather funny thing: if I put some pressure with my hand on my left eyebrow, pushing it slightly downwards, the blurriness (near reading) disappear. But as soon as I remove my hand, the blurriness comes back.

I'm a 38 male. Before surgery my graduation (glasses) was:

Right eye: -3.25+1.25*84°
Left eye: -4.00+1.00*83°

My doctor told me that the surgery procedure was perfect. However, after one month I have some astigmatism in my left eye (0.5), but neither significant myopia (on both eyes) nor astigmatism on my right eye. He also told me that I still have enough corneal tissue for an enhancement, but he said that I don’t need it.

Thanks.
esepu

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:20 pm

Improvement after seven weeks is certainly possible, and even probable. Keep in mind that often Lasik is more of a six month process than a 20-Minute Miracle.

The quality of vision issues may relate to a small amount of residual refractive error, the residual astigmatism, or dry eye. You may want to read about Lasik and Dry Eye.

At age 38 you probably don't have any issues with presbyopia - when reading glasses are required - but at some point in the future you will. When presbyopia becomes problematic, being a little bit myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) can be very helpful. Although distance vision will be degraded slightly, near and mid vision can be enhanced. You may want to read about Lasik Monovision.

My recommendation is to enjoy what improvement you have and don't make a decision about enhancement surgery until at least three months postop, and later is fine too. Don't be too quick to enhance away a small amount of myopia. Check if dry eye treatment resolves some of your problems. Ask your doctor for your current prescription and either purchase an inexpensive pair of glasses for night driving or ask your doctor if contact lenses would be appropriate for those instances when you need as good of night vision as possible.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Thanks

Postby esepu » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:35 pm

Many thanks for your quick reply. I will follow your advise and report later on any further change.

Best,
Ernesto.
esepu

Postby pljenkins » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:40 pm

Esepu,

I had LASIK 8 months ago, and both of my eyes healed differently, with my right eye (non dominant) improving faster then my left eye. The left one "caught up" after a while. It took a couple of months for this to happen.

Paul
pljenkins

Postby esepu » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:57 pm

Thanks for you're reply. It seems that the same thing is happening to me. My right eye, which is my non-dominant eye, has been healing very well, but my left eye is not yet at its best, with some blurrines that increases with distance.
esepu

Three months afterwards...

Postby esepu » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:23 am

It has been three months since I had LASIK and I think no further significant change will happen.

Today I went to an optometrician to check my graduation. This person is not related to the doctor who made the procedure.

The optometrician made several tests and asked to me many questions. Finally she told me that that my graduation now is: left eye: -0.75, right eye: “neutral”. In other words, my right eye vision is 20/20, but I had some residual myopia in my left eye.

She explain to me that because of my age (38), probably the laser equipment automatically left my left eye slightly undercorrected, to help me latter on to cope with presbyopia. But the doctor that operated me told me before the operation that both eyes would be fully corrected. Moreover he mentioned that some at point in the future I will need to wear glasses for reading.

What could be the main cause of my left eye myopia: accidental undercorrection or automatic undercorrection because of my age?

Is -0.75 a normal level of myopia for monovision? Is it too much? Could an enhancement be done to eliminate such as graduation?

Normally I have some minor troubles to ready computers’ screens or watch TV at distance afer the operation. I do not have issues with night vision.

Many thanks,
Ernesto.
esepu

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:47 am

The 0.75 diopters of myopia is undoubtedly an undercorrection that was not planned. It may be due to regression, but either way I think your optometrist was being kind in suggesting that the small amount of myopia in your left eye was automatic or deliberate. Being 0.75 diopters undercorrected is not all that unusual and in your case may be desirable.

In a few years you will become presbyopic. Presbyopia means "get accustomed to mediocre vision". Well, it doesn't really mean that, but it might as well. You will loose near vision. No matter how you try to get around presbyopia, the method will be a compromise. You will sacrifice one thing to get another. A common method of working around presbyopia is monovision, which appears to be exactly what you have now.

If the undercorrection is not causing you tremendous difficulty, you would probably be better served by leaving your eyes as they are. That slight undercorrection will delay your need for reading glasses...perhaps for years.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Thanks...

Postby esepu » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:48 am

Glenn, many thanks for your reply. There is something more... Could the benefits of monovision can be obtained if the myopic eye is the dominant?

I believe my dominant eye* is precisely the eye I have the residual 0.75 diopters of myopia. My right eye, which is my non-dominant, is 20/20.

I understand that in MONOVISION the dominant eye is the eye that is fully corrected and the other is left slightly myopic.

Best,
Ernesto.

* To discover my dominant eye I used the test consisting on pointing a distant object with your finger with both eyes opened. Then I closed one eye at the time to see which one allows me to see the object on line with the finger.
esepu

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:46 pm

It is possible to have successful monovision with the dominant eye being myopic, however that is not the norm. It is possible for your eyes to switch dominance, but that is sometimes problematic.

If one eye is myopic and the other plano (no refractive error) it can be difficult to determine eye dominance. For the best results, both eyes need to be equal. We have a dominant eye testthat you can download for free.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It