Blurry Vision near and far - couple questions

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Blurry Vision near and far - couple questions

Postby keith5851 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:30 pm

Hi Glenn,
I'm hoping someone can help me with a couple of issues I'm having with my vision. I originally posted that I had a great outcome and that my vision was amazing after surgery.

However, now it seems to be more blurrier 3 weeks later. Here is my background. I'm 24 and had Lasik on December 5, 2008 (3 weeks ago). My vision was nearsighted with about a -3.50 in both eyes and slight astigmatism. I find my left eye to be the most worrisome. My vision is OK far away but up close it is blurry in my left. Originally before surgery I had eagle eyes up close but now after surgery I noticed this eye is significantly worse. Words are blurry/ hazy. My right eye orginally used to be good far away (right after surgery) but now I noticed today it is slightly blurry far away and now my left eye is better far away. Originally after surgery my right was 20/15 and my left was 20/25 (one day post op).

Can anyone explain the blurry vision. Is is just healing? What worries me the most is my up close vision. I am too young to need glasses up close and like I said before, I used to have really good vision up close. I don't understand what's going on.
keith5851

Re: Blurry Vision near and far - couple questions

Postby flcaoh » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:50 pm

keith5851 wrote:Hi Glenn,
I'm hoping someone can help me with a couple of issues I'm having with my vision. I originally posted that I had a great outcome and that my vision was amazing after surgery.

However, now it seems to be more blurrier 3 weeks later. Here is my background. I'm 24 and had Lasik on December 5, 2008 (3 weeks ago). My vision was nearsighted with about a -3.50 in both eyes and slight astigmatism. I find my left eye to be the most worrisome. My vision is OK far away but up close it is blurry in my left. Originally before surgery I had eagle eyes up close but now after surgery I noticed this eye is significantly worse. Words are blurry/ hazy. My right eye orginally used to be good far away (right after surgery) but now I noticed today it is slightly blurry far away and now my left eye is better far away. Originally after surgery my right was 20/15 and my left was 20/25 (one day post op).

Can anyone explain the blurry vision. Is is just healing? What worries me the most is my up close vision. I am too young to need glasses up close and like I said before, I used to have really good vision up close. I don't understand what's going on.

Hi Keith,

I feel your pain. The EXACT same thing is happening to me. I had PRK though, and on Dec 12th. My vision was blurry until about day 9 and then it cleared up to 20/20 in my left and 20/15 in my right. On the 29th, I noticed a sudden decrease. Now my left eye is blurry far away and clear up close and my right is blurry up close and clear far away. It's frustating and my doc said it should get better with time. PRK has a longer recovery time than LASIK, so I don't know if there are different reasons why our eyes are acting this way, but I thought I'd let you know your not alone. Good Luck!!!
flcaoh

Re: Blurry Vision near and far - couple questions

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:50 pm

It is very, very early in the healing stages and what you describe may pass. You are still in the healing stages of Lasik and changes are to be expected.

keith5851 wrote:What worries me the most is my up close vision.

To be able to see objects closer than about 20 feet, the natural lens within the eye changes shape to change focus. This is called accommodation. At age 24 your ability to accommodate should be very good. The change from ability to see near and far to only being able to see far indicates that you may have two isses. One could be a limited ability to accommodate. The other is that you may have been overcorrected into hyperopia (farsighted) vision.

The change in ability to accommodate may be related to other issues. Do you have a cold? Are you taking any new meds? Have you changed environment? All of these can have an effect, but these alone would not likely explain the whole problem. Also, your eyes now have a new range of vision to accommodate. You may want to read about Lasik eye strain.

Mild hyperopia commonly does not affect a young person because accommodation can "focus around" the hyperopia. Your doctor can perform a cycloplegic refraction to determine if you are hyperopic. A cycloplegic refraction (which is better, one or two) is with the natural lens temporarily paralyzed to stop all accommodation.

Hyperopia can be caused by overcorrection or temporary inflammation of the cornea.

It is also possible that you are being affected by Lasik induced dry eyes. This is a relatively common problem during the first few months. You may want to read about Lasik dry eyes.

This is something to discuss with your doctor.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby keith5851 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:19 pm

Hi Glenn,
I would like to give you an update on my healing progress and like to thank you for giving me reassurance that I need to give my eyes time to heal and not be so rushed. To everybody who just had it done, It's definitely not a twenty minute miracle. Be patient and don't think your one day or one week or 3 weeks vision is your final vision.....

With that said, It has been almost a month since I had the procedure done. I had Custom Wavefront with the VISX Star S4 Laser. Since New Years Eve, my distant vision has been excellent. 20/20 or better in both . I can testify that it really has to do with the dryness in your eyes that determines how well you can see (at least in my case). I don't know if finally getting off the Pred Forte helped out, or if me using Refresh PM at night, but I can say my vision has definitely improved substantially since I posted a compliant earlier in the month. My eyes don't seems as dry. I will say that my eyes are still healing because my left eye is still slightly blurry for reading up close. Again that might have to do with the whole accommodation thing.

Right now, I'm still using Refresh drops 10x a day and the doctor has me on lotemax 2x a day. I feel much better now that my eyes have improved and am just going to let nature take it course and not worry so much.
keith5851

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:59 am

Keep us posted!
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby It's Just Me » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:17 pm

Well, it looks as if I need to be patient then. I'm only 6 days out. I can't see more than a couple of feet past my face though, it's quite frustrating :? How are you doing now?
It's Just Me

Return to Just Had It