GPC and surface ablation

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

GPC and surface ablation

Postby dyap2001 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:05 pm

Hi,

First let me say what a pleasure it is to have this resource. With the sea of options and details to swim through, this site is a necessity.

A year ago I developed GPC (Giant Papillary Conjunctivitis), though it wasn't diagnosed as such until I had another episode last summer. I was put on daily contacts along with Alomide and I only used contacts when necessary (sports). Then, in November, I had yet another episode and I decided to give up contacts all together.

So I've been off contacts and Alomide for about 2 months and my eyes have never felt better. I'd been considering refractive surgery for a long time but not being able to wear contacts pushed me over the edge to finally do it.

I'm strongly leaning toward surface ablation for the peace of mind I would have knowing I don't have a flap that could one day be dislodged. My question is, given my extreme sensitivity to contacts, would this disqualify me from surface ablation since I would have to wear a protective contact lens post-surgery? I know they're completely different kinds of lens, but it's still a concern of mine.

I have two appointments next week and I'll be sure to bring it up, but I wanted to get an opinion here first.

Thanks!
David
dyap2001

Postby slh » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:26 pm

Hi David,
I'm not a doctor, just another patient whose situation sounds very similar to yours. I used to suffer from recurrent bouts of GPC and went completely "off" contacts about 6 months ago. I'm scheduled for PRK next month.
Anyway, upon learning that I would need to wear the contact lens bandage after the surgery, I had exactly the same question for my Dr. However, he assured me that since one of the medications in the post-PRK period is a steroid drop, any GPC would be prevented. (there are also antibiotic eyedrops in the regimen). Of course I don't know what your Dr. would prescribe but I imagine it would be about the same.
So obviously your Dr. will tell you his opinion, but I don't think prior (now healed, of course) GPC would make you a non-candidate.
Good luck to you.
Stacy
slh

Postby dyap2001 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:57 pm

Thanks Stacy. I'm going for my first consultation today and a second on Thursday. I'll let you know what the docs say.

Good luck with your procedure!
dyap2001

Postby dyap2001 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:12 am

Just had my consultation at a second office. With my thin corneas (475,469), I pretty much have to get surface ablation; fine by me, I was opting for that anyway after all the reading I've done here and elsewhere.

One doctor performs Lasik and PRK. So he rightly recommended PRK and took a wavefront analysis of my eye. He said that there was a potential abnormality so he rescheduled another test for two weeks from now to make sure it's nothing serious. Other than that, he said that I'd be okay to go for PRK and that my GPC (now healed having been out of contacts since Nov. 08) wasn't an issue due to the steroid drops I'd be taking. So basically, Stacy, I got the same response as you, which is comforting!

The second doctor that I went to told me today that I'm a perfect candidate for LASEK and, should I choose it, epi-LASIK. Thing is, I think he just performs PRK (see my post here http://www.usaeyes.org/ask-lasik-expert ... 6961bfa91b ). He too told me that my history with GPC isn't a problem.

Both doctors have pretty good specs (education, awards, etc.). The first has done more surgeries total but the second does surface ablation only, which is a big deal to me.

Choosing is so hard! But I guess I'm lucky that I have the choice of some pretty good doctors living where I do.

-David
dyap2001

Return to Thinking About It