Intra lasik and PRK

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Intra lasik and PRK

Postby julsjuls » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:13 pm

In less than 12 weeks I will have to decide if I want PRK done over Intra lasik...to correct my vision more and to get the other wrinkles on my flap out. Is PRK safe...what about hazing and halos.... Do they need to use this Mitomycin-C if they do this I read its so dangerous and they dont know what will happen in the future with that drug either. How would you recommend to fix the vision and get the other wrinkle which i no longer in the center since that was repaired....but off to the side and yes I see double at night now and not very clearly, would you do PRK over Intra Lasik? Thank you
julsjuls

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:07 pm

PRK on a Lasik flap created with a femtosecond laser is gaining popularity as an alternative to lifting the Lasik flap. This is especially useful if the patient's cornea is a bit on the thin side and additional tissue could make the cornea unstable.

Whether or not PRK on the Lasik flap would resolve striae (flap wrinkles) is a very different matter. It is conceivable, however every case would be unique.

Mitomycin C is commonly used with PRK on Lasik flap because of the higher probability of corneal haze. Mitomycin C is strong medicine that is best avoided if possible, but appropriate when required. Mitomycin C has been used for ophthalmic purposes for a relatively short time, so long term data is not available.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

thank you for your help

Postby julsjuls » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:30 am

Thank you so much for your help....this site and all of your answers have helped me so much. Can you tell me is there any other way for correcting the vision without this mitomycin? I am afraid of it.... there doesnt seem to be enough know in the future with it as it sounds and even during the procedure sounds as if it could be dangerous? How else could you lift this flap without to many problems. I dont understand why the glasses I am not using to correct the vision isnt working, I dont have clear vision with them and my night vision is not good...seeing double at night now at times.... I would be happy not correcting anything at all if the glasses would work... will they ever?
julsjuls

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:53 pm

PRK on the Lasik flap would have an elevated risk of corneal haze. To mitigate that risk Mitomycin C is used. This is the appropriate purpose for the medication.

Everything is relative, but the risk of Mitomycin C seems small when you are considering the possibility of haze and that you are having microsurgery on your eyes.

As an alternative you could have traditional Lasik enhancement surgery, which would require lifting the flap. There would not be an elevated risk of corneal haze with traditional Lasik enhancement, however it will be important to determine if there is enough cornea that removal of tissue under the flap will not cause instability.

There may be many reasons that glasses are not correcting your problem. It may be that the surface of your cornea is too irregular for glasses to correct all problems. This is when rigid gas permeable contact lenses may provide improved vision. It may be that the glasses are simply the wrong prescription because of changes in your eyes. You will want to discuss this concern with your doctor before making a final decision about enhancement surgery.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It