Night vision question

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Night vision question

Postby HowTheil » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:38 pm

Greetings. 1st time poster...so be easy.

20 year contact wearer, only have worn glasses b/w the bathroom and bedroom. I've now been wearing glasses fulltime (2 weeks) in hopes that I'm a LASIK candidate. I have my appointment next week.

I've noticed a dramatic difference between my ability to see at night wearing contacts vs. glasses. Contacts (toric lenses) - no problems at night, see great. Glasses - I'd say I'm borderline shouldn't be driving. My overall vision is poor and a bit of haloing. I'm wondering if this predisposes me to issues with night vision after LASIK.

Of course, the different could well be a "poor" set of glasses (i.e. I did not get refective coating....whatever the FeatherWeight Plus lens contains from LensCrafters.

It would be nice to understand the gap in my vision b/w contacts and glasses.....while perhaps understanding any issues pertaining to LASIK.

thanks for any ideas....
HowTheil

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:47 am

I suspect there are two primary reasons for the difference in night vision between your long-time contact lens use and your recent glasses use.

1) The glasses are not quite right. The astigmatism correction may be off, they may not fully correct all the way to the periphery of the lens (this makes lenses thinner), or simply do not fully correct your vision.

2) The contact lenses have been reshaping your corneas slightly and now that you are out of them your corneas are relaxing and this is providing a different refractive error. When you were examined for your glasses, you were out of contacts or only a very short time - not enough for your corneas to relax.

Your situation is exactly whey patients who are long-time contact lens wearers need to be out of them for a significant period of time before being fully evaluated for Lasik. You may want to see contacts and Lasik.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby HowTheil » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:30 pm

Thanks for a few ideas. Right off the cuff, they recommended three weeks (toric contacts). Going in next week for another measurement to see if I'm on track.

I'll post a follow-up to aid in the great info on the site. very helpful "stuff" on here...
HowTheil

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:10 pm

I suspect that your contact lenses were holding the periphery of your corneas in shape and now that they are not there the cornea is relaxing, thereby inducing myopia (nearsighted) vision and more astigmatism.

I doubt that this is an issue, but one of the reasons why a patient needs to be without contact lenses is to evaluate the probability of keratoconus. Keratoconus can often be masked by long-term contact lens use.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby HowTheil » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:49 pm

Thanks for the response....

Everything is all out of wack with the glasses as my prescription has changed since being out of my contacts full time.

Actually, I really don't remember what it's like to have good vision (with my contact).

This whole process has taught me quite a bit....and how important my contacts were. Even more the reason to consider laser correction.
HowTheil

Return to Thinking About It