Lasik and floaters

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Lasik and floaters

Postby Mike » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:30 pm

Hello.

Thanks for this user group. I had laskik 2 months ago. Since then I have been seeing floaters. From the internet I found a lot of information about it,
got scared. Then I went to my regurlar eye doctor (not the one who performed surgery). He checked for any retinal holes etc but fortunately nothing found.
However, the floarters are very irritating. Will it ever go away with time? Is there any remedy/medication for this?

Thanks in advance.
Mike
Mike

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:51 pm

Floaters can be very, very annoying. There does not seem to be a safe, predictable, and consistently successful method to remove floaters, however after a while they may no longer be problematic.

Floaters may eventually move out of the line of sight and no longer interfere with your vision.

The brain is very good at ignoring bad vision information. An example is your blind spot. The area of the eye where the optic nerve enters is totally without vision. We have a big black hole in our vision, but we never see it. That is because the brain has learned how to "look around" the blind spot. Similarly, the brain will learn to ignore many floaters.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Mike » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:21 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Will it go away or the brain will get adjusted?

However, if the brain ever gets adjusted, when will it be - 6 months , a year?

Anything specific thing that I can do to expedite it?

thanks
Mike
Mike

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:38 pm

Mike wrote:Will it go away or the brain will get adjusted?

Floaters never actually go away. They may move out of the way and/or no longer be noticed, but the material will always remain within your eye.

Mike wrote:However, if the brain ever gets adjusted, when will it be - 6 months , a year?

Almost impossible to predict.

Mike wrote:Anything specific thing that I can do to expedite it?

Yes. Quit noticing them. I'm not being flippant. The wost you can do is "look" for them. This keeps the brain aware and can drive you bit nuts. The best thing to do, and probably the hardest too, is to ignore them.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It