Really wanting/needing Lasik...do i sound like a good chance

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Really wanting/needing Lasik...do i sound like a good chance

Postby PoliceOfficer2009 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:25 am

Hey everyone,

There are a couple reasons why i want to get Lasik, my main one is the fact that i am about to be a police officer and am afraid that i will not be able to do my job as good as i would like with glasses or contacts. I think contacts are a danger for me because they hurt badly sometimes and i would not want them to cause me pain if i was in the middle of a call. I also want it for the liberation from my glasses.

My eyes are bad but i dont need them to see moderatly, i dont wear them to school and i sit like 4-5 rows back from the front and i can see the board 99% of the time. I have really bad astigmatism too. I was wondering if anyone from knowledge can tell me if i will be able to get the surgery. I plan on a going for a examination soon im just trying to get feedback now. Any advice is appreciated. Thank You :)
PoliceOfficer2009

Postby joeyl » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:21 pm

how did you become a police officer before taking the medical test?
which police force is it?
if your force allows you to have bad astigmatism stick with glasses...
i dont think its worth the risk is my opinion, im still having bad side effects and i wanted to become a police officer too unfortunately my does a huge load of medicals test with my eyes therefore i cannot pass and got it.
joeyl

Postby joeyl » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:23 pm

btw i also had REALLY bad astigmatism sitting at a 4.00 both eyes
and i have a load of side effects..i got the custom BLADELESS wavefront lasik best one there is is what the doctor says and i see halos starbursts glare and fuzziness...at the moment i dont recommend it to anyone...maybe if this crap goes away..oh i also have ghosting in both eyes.
joeyl

Re: Really wanting/needing Lasik...do i sound like a good ch

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:26 pm

PoliceOfficer2009 wrote: My eyes are bad but i dont need them to see moderatly, i dont wear them to school and i sit like 4-5 rows back from the front and i can see the board 99% of the time.

If you are able to see this well, then your refractive error must be quite low. Your probability of a good result will be quite different than joeyl, who had very high astigmatism. Your need for corrective surgery is also different.

As a peace officer your ability to see and recognize objects at distance and in a variety of conditions is literally a matter of life and death. You need excellent vision. Whether or not that excellent vision should be with glasses, contacts, or refractive surgery can only be answered after you have a comprehensive evaluation from a competent doctor.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It