PRK done today, 26 JUL

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

PRK done today, 26 JUL

Postby epthorn » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:48 am

Had PRK done in both my eyes today. So far I can see relatively well (not as good as with contacts, but it's early) although I expect my vision will get worse before it becomes stable. I have moderate pain and discomfort, as well as a LOT of tearing. No surprises during the procedure or afterwards; worse part of it was the cold water they put on my eyes following the laser... like an ice cream "brain freeze" only worse (that was the doc's analogy). Will write about vision situation later in week.
epthorn

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:44 am

Keep us informed. Many people considering PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik will be interested in your experience.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

2 days post-op

Postby epthorn » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:52 am

Saturday, 2 days post PRK. Significant pain/discomfort which does not seem to respond to painkillers. Pain seems to be lessened somewhat by light exercise. At 1-day post visit doctor indicated that I am well ahead of schedule in terms of recovery.
epthorn

2 week checkup coming up

Postby epthorn » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:02 pm

Well, it's about 2 weeks post PRK procedure. I would say I have 'near' 20-20 vision. Still not as good as contacts or glasses, but definitely good enough to drive.

Am experiencing Halo at night but not too bad. All in all, if this were the 'final' vision I would say it was worth it (though I still hope that it will improve over the next couple of months).
epthorn

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:07 pm

For only two weeks postop your PRK vision is doing well. Please report back in another few weeks and let us know how you are doing.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby cecil519 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:16 pm

This is a great site to get info on laser vision correction!

I had PRK done on August 16, 2007. It was pretty uneventful - everything that I expected it to be. I had it done at LasikPlus. They were great! The only thing I was disappointed with was that they asked me to buy Acular LS and bring it with me during the surgery. I had my actual surgery in a different location from where I had my preliminary exam. As it turns out, I was given a sample bottle of Acular LS and now I don't know what to do with the one I bought since I can't return it to the store, and apparently I may be coming off Acular after they take off the bandage contact lenses this afternoon.

I still have quite a bit of blurriness, although I've been driving to work (24 miles one-way) since yesterday. As long as I drive on familiar roads, I'm fine. I did experience some headaches today, so I kept using Systane drops and they seemed to help.

Overall I can say I'm pretty happy with my experience. I can't wait until my vision stabilizes and I can go swimming again!
cecil519

Final "just had it" post

Postby epthorn » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:25 am

I'm 2-3 months out from PRK now, and I think I'm about 20-20 or so. Certainly good enough, and at least almost as good as with my old contacts (which gave me better than 20-20). I've now moved outside of the U.S. so this is particularly good as I was afraid I might have problems which would cause me all sorts of difficulty- as a bonus, I don't have to worry about buying contacts here.

All told, seems like a successful op and glad I dealt with the pain and semi-blindness of double-eye PRK as now I don't have to worry about complications from getting hit in the face (hey, it happens).
epthorn

Return to Just Had It