3 Month Update

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

3 Month Update

Postby floatanddry » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:09 pm

Well, I passed the three month mark a couple of days ago. I was -5.75 and -4.75 with astigatism in both eyes. I've ended up good visual acquity and quality with LASIK (Allegretto Wave). I have a slight astigatism left in my right eye that I notice on occassion and my doc does not feel it's worth the risk to correct, and I agree. If needed, I'll probably get a pair of night glasses because that is when it's most noticeable. Starbursts have diminished to close to the level I had with glasses, halos are completely gone. Dry eye has improved quite a bit in the last few weeks, but am still using drops a few times a day.

The unfortunate side-effect of my surgery has been floaters. It's been a real bummer because everything else worked itself out as hoped. I ended up with a few in each eye, and one particularly large one in my right eye. They were stirred up anew, or a result of the surgery and they have been very distracting in my life. I am hopeful these will pass in time and settle, or otherwise be ignored by the brain but at this point they have not changed since first appearing about 2.5 months ago. I try not to focus on them, but since I work with computers all day this has proven difficult.

At this point, unfortunately, the floaters make my Lasik experience a negative one. It really stinks, because otherwise I would be be very psyched but they are distraction all day and it's impossible not to think about my eyes all day then. I am really surprised that there is no real study on floaters and LASIK. I have found a couple of references on some small studies which note an increase in floaters in patients, but it's not that concrete, nor do doctors consitently warn about this as a side-effect. I wish I could say this has been a wholly positive experience, but until these diminsh it's a loss of visual quality for me.

I'll update again in a few months after my next appt.

Float (and no longer) Dry
floatanddry

did it improve

Postby peliot » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:46 pm

did your situation improve?

I had the same exact experience and am deeply regretting the Epi-LASIK that I had in August 2008.
peliot

Return to Had It A While Ago